1. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

Is this general plot used?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kerilum, Dec 11, 2016.

(Important history as to why there is war) Geography and world is setup by God in a way that 8 islands are surrounding a giant one. A race comes to power as a big Kingdom, claiming that God set their race in the middle to be the most important; to rule the others.

Plot:
    A world exists in a portal to another island that was supposed to be in the original world. People that live there are free from the grasps of the central Kingdom (yes that's the kingdom's name). Eventually, the Kingdom finds out about this society and how the people there are about to launch a massive attack. So they send monsters into the world and destroy the portal. The portal is fractioned into 9 pieces, one for each island. A young adult who happens to be a psychopath, along with 3 of the only 6 mages in the world come together to find the piece on the island that they're on, all whilst the events in the book cover topics on morality, egoism, pyschopathy, and etc.

So, has something along the lines of my plot been used before?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

the first half sounds vaguely like the plot of an episode of stargate , while the latter bit is your standard 'quest for holy treasures' plot - its not very original , but whether that matters is going to depend on how well you write it

virtually everything worth doing has been done at least once - vis my signature

3. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

It's not exactly a quest.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A band of people comprising a young adult and several mages, come through the portal seeking pieces of a mythical treasure that will change the world ... No offence but it could only be more of a quest if you added some elves and dwarves to the band of brothers , and may be a really short character with hairy toes

NiallRoach and BayView like this.
  5. Thom

Thom Active Member

Every plot is over-used. It's up to the author to use what has been done in a new and interesting ways in order to make it unique. I'd say that 10 percent of a story is over-used plot devices with 90 percent being input from the author to make it feel as something new and exciting.
    I think what you have there sounds very interesting.

Kerilum likes this.
  6. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

They don't come to the portal to find it, they live in that world. It's not a big world either with dungeons and dragons, it's a small island half the size of New Jersey, if even. The main focus isn't even the 'quest' it's about the characters and their actions. Perhaps I should've explained that my world doesn't revolve entirely on magic. The mages are barely wizards, nothing like Gandalf. The energy that they use is based off of converted energy from their foods. Imagine it kind of like Game of Thrones, if you've read it. People shuffle around a lot and travel, but there's no quest-like features of it.

7. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

That sounds like a really cool concept, and I'm interested to know what happened to world-inside-the-portal after the portal got destroyed.

But it's not a plot yet. A plot involves a main character who wants something and is willing to go through hell and high-water to get it. You've got an idea. And it's pretty cool, yo. Put a goal in it and I'll be interested to see where it goes.