1. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Toying with an idea, any tips to help steer me in the right direction.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Platypus, Jan 7, 2016.

Hello. I hope this is in the right section, I apologise if not.

I have a few ideas in my head of plots, however they are each of a different genre. One aimed at teenage animal lovers, another more a fantasy/medieval type and the third a post war saga. I know this isn't great, I should have one genre in mind, perhaps I will produce all three and see which is the best.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips or pointers for a first time writer, I am struggling fleshing out my stories to be honest, I am doubting if they are any good, too tame, not factual enough, would people believe the story lines? is my writing style poor?, am I kidding myself etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Doubt keeps you stagnate. Kick it out and just get writing. Nobody can tell what will make a good story until it's written. And readers will believe anything as long as your characters have a good motivation for doing things.

Take Star Wars - the new movies not the old. The reason they weren't as well received was because it was hard to believe Anakin's reason's for turning to the dark side. And why a young man whose awaiting the birth of his own child would kill children. There wasn't enough build up and the pace was off. The original Star Wars took three movies to show Luke Skywalker turn from a farmboy to a Jedi knight. The newer Star Wars tried to cram most of Anakin's descent into one movie. And the reasoning was further clouded by the whole magic blood thing. Was he choosing the dark side or did the dark side choose him?

My tip would be - just write. Give your characters a good reason for why they react/respond/think the way they do and the story should go smoothly. Don't bend their actions to suit the plot. Let their actions /decisions/failures/successes shape the plot.

3. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

It's absolutely fine to jump around genres. If/when you become known as a writer you'll likely stick closer to home to keep an audience but that's a money thing and for now don't worry about it at all. Writing all kinds of stories will help you practice and give you experience writing all kinds of different characters. It'll also help you find the kind of stories you really enjoy writing, and that is hugely important. If you don't enjoy writing you won't stick with it.

My biggest pointer for a first time writer is simple: Write for you.

Write stories that you want to read. Write something that you'll enjoy reading. Write in a style that reads well to you and create a plot that seems believable to you. And as you go forward and write more and think more and get feedback you'll start to pick up a better sense for good writing and believable plots and when you write again you'll do better. Forget all the concerns and worries and problems and just write something that you think is enjoyable.

If you start out worrying about what other people think and how they'll interpret things then that's how you end up writing a generic plot in a generic voice; too worried about putting people off to write something that draws people in. If it's enjoyable to you then it'll probably be enjoyable to other people too, enough so that they can help you get better, help you widen your appeal while still telling good stories.

For now just write however it feels right. Put pen to paper and get on with it. Even if the idea isn't fleshed out just start writing. See where it takes you. See what feels natural for the characters to fill in the blanks. Writing is the only way to build your confidence and help you have faith in your own ideas and your own voice; two things that authors really do need to have. So start doing it. And maybe you won't be great, but that's ok. You can get feedback and edit and change and try again.

If you set your sights on writing a book that you can enjoy then even if it goes no-where, even if you get lots of negative feedback, you'll still feel good about what you achieved and you'll want to try again.

4. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Thank you for replying. I will take your advice and write. That is the only way I will find out I guess.

5. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Jumping around is fine. As for which to pick, for me the answer is pick whichever one interests you the most. Which universe do you like inhabiting the most, which characters do you not get bored hanging out with?

It's not a stretch to say that your setting and characters are an extension of your social life in a weird way. You have to spend a lot of time in there, so make sure you are spending that time in a place that doesn't bore you and where you really enjoy the company. That's how you end up actually finishing a book - you find a story that won't leave you alone.