1. HorrorWriter96

HorrorWriter96 New Member

Is this horror novel idea complex enough?

Discussion in 'Horror' started by HorrorWriter96, Apr 14, 2013.

Wedge Dawson is a murderer that has just been released from jail twenty-five years after he murdered his family. Guilt has over ridden him and he urges to resurrect his dead family with new technology previously untested by scientists at the local university. When he trial runs it after stealing it at the dead of night from the university's storage it fails. That night when he is sleeping he begins to get strange illusions of dead people that start to eat away his brain and psychologically kill him to prevent him from resurrecting his family. Wedge must find a way to get his family back before he succumbs to the demons and joins them in the dead.

Does it sound complex enough? If not what could I do to improve it and make it worth the writing time?

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

It sounds more like a psychological thriller than a horror story. What you have here is a core idea and core ideas are not supposed to be too complex. Adding subplots will add the necessary complexity.

3. HorrorWriter96

HorrorWriter96 New Member

Yes I thought when I wrote the idea down is it going into the thriller genre. I guess I wanted to add horror type elements in there at the same time. Thank you anyway.

4. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

The compelling aspect of it to me and what your MC sees when he hallucinates. If you want to look at some freaky intense hallucinations, you should look at Isaac Clarke's from the popular video game series Dead Space.

5. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

it seems to be OTT psychological, i like writing psychological horrors, but you need to maintain to some extent the blood guts and gore of a traditional horror, maybe by making the ressurection of the family subplot to his own delusions, which are extrodinarily gruesome

6. Baz the WarriorDreamer

Baz the WarriorDreamer Member

Yeah, it sounds good to me. It sounds like a kind of Frankenstien idea and 'dont touch dark magic' idea, regardless of how tempting it might be, which is played with a lot in gothic fiction. I say if you really flesh out the characters and add your own original unique dark twist on it, it could be a good read!