1. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Member

Is this just a phase?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ex Leper, Jan 24, 2009.

Is this just a phase I'm going through?

My writing technique up until two or three years ago was to write down what came out of my head. I'd get my story done then forget about it. I'd go back to it a month or so later and show it off but it would be an unpolished mess.

Now I can't even write. I spend most of my creative time planning stories out in excruciating detail, but I'm never happy with what I write when I get round to it - if I get round to it.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I actually do the same thing write everything in my head out on paper. Though I don't forget about it I kinda become obsessed with it and want to finish it badly.

Well my question would be:

What does it feel like to you?
    Have you lost inspiration?
    Does this feel like a phase to you?
    Has there been something stopping you from writing?

Sorry if I'm not very helpful.

3. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Member

I'm definatly not out of inspiration as I'm always full of ideas. One thing I do a lot is make a story up on the spot to entertain my girlfriend of my son in the good old fashioned oral style.

If it is a phase then it's an annoyingly long one.

4. othman

othman Member

Well, this happens to most people at sometime or other even if it's not to do with writing. I am currently going through that 'phase' that's partially the reason I joined the forum, and I'm starting to write again (although barely) but most people I hear of eventually come out the other side.

I realise that that wasn't very helpful so my advice would be to get give an assignment type thing, have someone help you develop an interesting storyline and get given a time to complete it and possibly get them to effectively force you to write. Now I doubt you'll get satisfied with it as you haven't had completely free reign, but if you do this several times and with a strong will you might get back on track.

5. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I'm finding more and more you're like me. I am never ever out of ideas either. I'm like an idea machine coughing out ideas 24/7.

Could this be by any chance, idea block up?

6. Ex Leper

Ex Leper Member

Do you mean where I have so many ideas that I'm constantly re-starting my stories? I've always been like that. When I was writing more than I do now I'd have three or four stories on the go.

Now I seem to focus more on just planning my stories. I can't get past that stage.

7. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No.
    This is different idea blockage.
    You have good ideas and you want to work on them, but of course their are other ideas in your head.
    So instead you write down your ideas or tell people your ideas, but never get on writing them.
    And the next day you have a new idea and repeat the process.

8. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

It might be just a phase, but if you find it going on for an extended period and you're not getting any actual writing done, you might have to force yourself to work through it. The longer you let it continue, the harder it'll be to break out of it.

I realize that doesn't sound very helpful, especially since you say you CAN'T write (or you hate what you do write), but how else do you actually write something, aside from sitting down and writing it? Sometimes all we can do is force ourselves to write, even if it seems no good.

You might need to give yourself permission to write another unpolished mess if you want to start getting things done. Planning a story is no good if you don't actually write it.

9. sorites

sorites Senior Member

I'm in a similar position right now. I am in the planning stages of a longer work and I can't really start writing on it until the outline is fairly solid and I'm happy with it. To keep myself writing I force myself to write expositionally about the characters and plot elements that I'm unsatisfied with. This has the same effect as just writing what comes onto my head, but it helps me develop my plan (outline) and it keeps me writing, even though none of it will actually be used directly in the work itself.

10. Sekiko

Sekiko Member

You're right hemisphere is rebelling. Instead of planning everything in detail, plan in general, so that you leave room for your right hemisphere to stretch it's proverbial legs. And don't forget to revise...

11. Noodleguy

Noodleguy Senior Member

Not particularly. Revising should be his last concern if he's having difficulties getting started writing at all, honestly. Oh, and the whole "right brain, left brain" archetype is a myth.

Anyway, really I don't see the problem here. Planning isn't a bad thing in and of itself. The more time you spend on it, the better. But still, if planning time is eclipsing writing time that could very well be a problem. I would recommend continuing with your current planning insanity. BUT set a goal every single day to write 1000 spontaneous words. Force yourself just to sit down and make that up. Maybe that can spark a bit more creativity, and on top of it you can still have your planning session.

I know how that is though. I spend ridiculous amounts of time worldbuilding, planning, outlining, developing characters, and all that stuff. Then it turns out I don't really like the original idea and I throw it all out the window.

12. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 Contributing Member

Look My only suggestion is write. No matter how bad it may seem you need to write. It seems like you are trying to be a perfectionist but do not forget that a lot of perfectionist never get anything done.

Write it out, leave it alone for a while and conitnue to write. Come back to it and revise it then.

That is my advice

13. Darker Rarechild

Darker Rarechild Member

When I was a kid, I used to be able to write anything I wanted. Granted, none of it was that long, but I would sit there and do it. Why? I don't know. I assume it has something to do with me writing for my self back then as opposed to now where I want to write to be published.

Once you stop writing for yourself, all bets are off. You have to re-learn to write for you and you only.

Blogs are great for this. Everyday for, I don't know how long, I would write a blog about something in the news that got me pissed or some idiot doing something dumb and I would just go on on rants and diatribes writing for me and me only. I had a few of my friends reading my blogs and some actually agree with me. I had one woman I had never met read my blogs and comment on my blunt style and how she liked it.

Give this method a shot and see if you can start writing for you again. Just don't get sucked into a habit of only writing blogs. lol!

14. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan Contributing Member

Unlesss you are writing to a deadline, then write when you can write. Once you start to push the issue ideas come through even slower.

I suppose what I will advise will be like trying to teach to suck eggs, but a pen and a piece of paper should always be on your person. Just at the exact point when you stop thinking about it inspiration will come and you're likely to be in the middle of a field when it happens.

Bard x