1. Banes

Banes New Member

How many agents should I submit my query to?

Discussion in 'Agent Discussion' started by Banes, Aug 20, 2011.

Sorry, everyone that I am asking so many questions, but I am a first time author and need advice from pros.

So, here is another question: :)

I know that I should submit my query to as many agents as possible, but should I submit my query to as many as possible right away or should I email 10 then wait a week then email another 10?

Or should I email 100 as quickly as possible?

Thank you for an advice you can give.

2. Raki

Raki New Member

That's completely up to you. :) Not the answer you're probably looking for, but there is no "correct" answer to this question. If you feel it best to send to ten, see if you get a response that offers a little feedback, decide if you think the feedback is worth taking, and then submit to another ten, then do that. If you think it best to blast it out to 100 agencies right out of the gate, then do that. It's all completely up to you. :)

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

But do a little research on the agents first to make sure they look at your type of story. Some agents specialize in romance, others in scifi, etc, and you don't want to bombard them with stuff that's not their cup of tea. This will also increase your chances of them saying yes.

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't recommend submitting to your entire list of agents all at once. No matter how great you think your query is, there's always the possibility your query is ineffective. They're tricky things those queries. The flaws might only become apparent once you've received ten straight rejections. You don't want to be in a position where you'd like to enhance your query, but don't have any more agents to send it to.

1 person likes this.
  5. Banes

Banes New Member

Would anyone here be willing to review my query message?