3. it's a grey area - I'd give it the benefot of the doubt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis McCann

Genghis McCann Member

Is this Plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Genghis McCann, Jul 19, 2016.

This is a writing forum, so members here should know a little more than the average person about plagiarism. It has been discussed on several threads and certainly there are grey areas. Recently Donald Trump's wife made a speech at the Republican convention. Here are some excerpts from her speech and from an earlier speech by Michelle Obama. Is it plagiarism?

In a section, Mrs Trump said: "My parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect."

Mrs Obama's speech in 2008 carried the lines: "And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them."

Mrs Trump's speech continued: "[My parents] taught me to show the values and morals in my daily life. That is the lesson that I continue to pass along to our son. And we need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow, because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

Mrs Obama said: "And Barack Obama and I set out to build lives guided by these values, and pass them on to the next generations. Because we want our children, and all children in this nation, to know that the only limit to the height of your achievement is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work for them."

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Seems pretty clear where that portion of Melania's speech came from. At least to me.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt until the part from Michelle's speech that goes: "...Because we want our children and all children in this nation to know that the only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them..." was repeated by Melania with only one or two words mildly altered. At that point the prior bits of questionable plagiarism could no longer be written off by me.

And though you didn't ask, I offer unsolicited that I think it was really shitty of d. Trump to allow that to happen to his wife. She is not part of this campaign. She is not, imo, a fair target for political criticism. She is a woman who speaks with a heavy, marked accent that by itself was bound to cause her some grief from the ass-hattier sectors of the Troll Market known as the internet. He should have made sure that she would be safe from something like this and he didn't. JMHO.

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

If I pick up a quarter off the street, am I stealing?

That speech was so painfully trivial and platudinuous, I'm surprised anyone would want to take credit for it.

I think Mrs. Obama ought to do herself a favor and share the original source where both she and Melania got their speeches from.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Now that a new story is out:

Melania tells McIver, "I like these passages from Michelle's speech." McIver puts said passages into the speech.

Now, either it never happened and Melania simply plagiarized the stuff herself.
    Or:
    She told McIver, "here are some things from Michelle's speech I like," and then what, didn't notice the speech contained the words verbatim?

The news media treated Melania with kid gloves calling her a victim, but tonight Chris Matthews stated the obvious, it could not have happened without Melania knowing she was plagiarizing Michelle's speech.

Now, did she just think she wouldn't have been caught? Or does she have no clue what plagiarizing is?

I should point out here that on her bio page it states she has a degree in architecture and design. However, there is evidence she dropped out without completing a single year.

I try hard not to condemn this woman for marrying up, for having beauty as the best thing going for her. On that basis alone I say, more power to her. She wants to marry for money, or she just likes rich guys, there is nothing there I would condemn a woman for.

But when she makes a point of telling us how she, as a well off white woman, immigrated here legally while her husband insults people who came here to survive in many cases, or kids who grew up here that the Trumps want to deport, that's when I lose all respect for Melania Trump.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

I'm taking this idea from a guy who posted in a UK paper, but marrying up doesn't quite square with working hard...

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

There was a funny meme going around about this.

"I am so proud of my amazing black daughters, Sasha and Malia." - Melania Trump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.