1. MatthewR

MatthewR New Member

Religion in writing

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MatthewR, Oct 11, 2011.

I'm toying with some ideas for some short stories partially to help me develop my antagonist(s) a little more thoroughly.

The basic premise of the villian(s) are based on Old Testament stories that have been added to or slightly altered for the purpose of good fictional content. 1 example is;

The story of the passover is where the angel of death visits the first born sons of Egypt. My story would take a slight twist that this Angel was instructed only to kill pharoh's first born, and instead went "over the top" causing God's wrath and inevitible reprucussions.

The question I have is essentially, how angry am I going to make people by slightly altering what many consider religious "facts" to make a fictional story.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You'll offend some people. I wouldn't worry about it - people have done a lot worse with religious themes. Just write it and see how it comes out.

3. colinbeckett

colinbeckett New Member

When dealing with religion, particularly Christianity since it's so divided, it's very difficult to use the stories without offending anyone.
    There may be ways to alter the stories without disrupting the spirit of the story. You could consider consulting an expert, if there are churches near you. There are ministers/church people who are very interested in discussing things like that.

But there is definitely an audience for what you're suggesting. Obviously not everyone will be pleased, but you shouldn't limit yourself based on who you'll offend.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's done in fiction [and non-fiction] all the time... i doubt you'll be writing anything that's any 'worse' than what's been written by countless others before you...

5. Kio

Kio New Member

As a Christian, I can safely say, "Fuhgeddaboutit". Then again, this is coming from a Christian who doesn't read the Bible very often. However, from what I've read, it doesn't look like it can offend very many people. Sure, people will be offended, but everyone does at one point. I know for a fact that if any director were to even think of remaking a classic, fans will rage. At this very moment, the remake for Akira hasn't come out yet and already fans of the original are frothing at the mouths, including me. So, by all means, go ahead; just make sure not to butcher it and keep true, to some extent.

6. Berenice

Berenice New Member

I couldn't care less. There are quite a few atheists and agnostics and non-Christians out there, so any of those could read without major qualms IF they can be bothered. I, for example, would never pick up a story as blatantly using blblical topics anyway - simply because I am truly disinterested.

So I agree with everyone, simply write it and you'll see who wants to read it. And don't particularly target the Christian publishers with it.