1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Is this site ever going to be fixed?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Steerpike, Dec 9, 2011.

I'm just curious if it is still being worked on, or if this is now 'normal' for this site from here on out.

The site is still agonizingly slow. Substantially slower than any other forum I go to. I also still get error messages on a repeated basis (this morning, for example, I am getting two to three "no data received" errors for every mouse click (meaning every time the forums try to load a page).

It isn't nearly as bad as at the height of the trouble a couple of months ago, but it is still a long way from good.

Status update?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm finding the same problems. Especially when typing comments - cannot go back in and edit, for one thing. Cursor disappears and no matter what I do, new stuff appears at the end of the message. So I have to go in with the command box to even copy it, then go to word processor, write the message, and paste back into box.

I mean, come on...

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Oddly, the speed seems alright for me now. I suspect it's somewhat dependent on server usage- busier periods are slower, as you'd expect, but from the sounds of things much slower than they should be.

Daniel is the only person who has any sort of control over this (I'm literally just the janitor), so if it's not improving, he's the person to contact.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm still having to try several to many times to get a page to open!... many times i just give up after 6-8 doses of 'this program cannot display the webpage' and try to convince myself there was nothing on it i wanted to comment on anyway...

it was so bad yesterday that i gave up and left the site before i even got 1/4 of the way through the section menu...

and that verdammt 'are you sure you want to...' pop-up keeps popping up even when i haven't written anything!...

can you please pass this on to daniel?

5. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

I'm sure he's working on it, there's kinks in everything-- Windows or Mac included. Give it some time fellas.

6. mammamaia

'some time'?... it's been months!

7. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I agree. It's been months. And it's not just an issue of being at a busy time when 1000s of people are logged in. It's always been this way, ever since a few weeks after the big upgrade. :(

8. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I think Daniel has a case of the, "having a life syndrome," he was supposed to fix my supporter membership perks that are not working properly a long time ago. Which I am completely fine with; having life is all good. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for having the site fixed anytime soon.

But, it is kind of annoying that my one year membership fee was supposed to go to helping these problems (which is most of the reason I got a membership in the first place).

9. mammamaia

i hate to write this 'out loud' for fear it will immediately cease to be true, but today i've gotten through the whole site without a single 'this program cannot display' glitch!...

fingers/toes/eyes-crossed hugs, m

10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm looking into speeding up the site's speed. We'll be upgrading to a new VPS in the next day or two. I'm not 100% sure this will solve the issues, but it should at least help.

1 person likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Whatever you did earlier today, the site is working better for me now than it has in a while. Thanks for the hard work!

12. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree, the site is running much faster for me today! Thank you much!

13. mammamaia

ditto that!

now, daniel, can you please bring this and the other info sections back up to the top of the page, so poor overworked banzai won't have to keep moving posted material by newcomers to the proper sections and i won't have to spend so much time reporting so many posts being in the wrong place?... pretty please!??

it's not fair to those newcomers, either, to leave them in the dark about site rules 'n regs, introducing themselves, et al., with all of those sections being hidden away at the bottom, instead of up top where they were, and belong by any standard of logic/common sense... how did it make any sense to stick all the info about the site down at the bottom, when it's the first stuff newcomers need to see?

love and pleading hugs, maia

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

^ Agreed! This confused me too. The info would be so much better at the top.

15. mammamaia

thanks, lemex!... i thought i was the only one who noticed how confusing it is to newcomers and how many misplaced threads there are now, as a result...

16. the1

the1 Active Member

A new VPS I think should do the trick. Let's hope at least :)