1. Maniacal Writer

Maniacal Writer New Member

Plot idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Maniacal Writer, Dec 22, 2006.

okay basically, i have this idea...where two kids fall asleep and wake up in a new world.

but they're not the same. originally they are 8 and 9 years old, but now the eldest is an 18 year old warrior and the youngest has been turned into a wolf.

i have problems writing parts.

how would you react to finding your brother is a wolf? how can i possibly take it from there?

of course they want to turn back to normal and go home, but...in order to do that they need help from their enemy...

any ideas?

2. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Can the wolf communicate? If so, shock and disbelief would be pretty standard.

If not, fear would be the common reaction from the human.

And, why do a 8 and 9 year old have an enemy? What motivation do all of the characters have?

3. Maniacal Writer

the 8 and 9 year olds have enemies, cuz it's a new world, and they're transformed. one into the wolf, one into the 18 year old.
    the evil slave driver/king senses their presence and thinks they would be a good collection to his working force.
    in order to return home, and get back to normal, they need to seek the help of their enemy, the only one with magics strong enough to help them.

4. Spherical Time

I don't know how plausible I find that plot. 18 year olds and wolves aren't usually the best workers, especially when they have the mentality of 8 and 9 year olds.

I don't know why the King would care.

5. Robert

Robert Banned

Why do they need to be 8- and 9-year-olds in the first place? Why not just have a young warrior and a wolf that he has somehow tamed or befriended in a world that differs a little from ours, then set up their goal?

6. Maniacal Writer

its kind of complicated. they're 8 and 9...because they started at home, young...then on xmas they find a present they have no idea where it came from...this ends up taking them to the new world, transforming them.

7. Avrilkiller

Avrilkiller New Member

Well, one tip I have is, I see a lot of writers who make characters into animals really throw the communication scene for me. This is because they forget that most people, upon seeing a wolf somewhere, would NOT assume it's their brother/father/friend.

So whatever you do, I'd say certainly make her/him not know at first, then have him/her convince their sibling in some wolf like way (unless the wolf can speak, too), then go through the disbelief part.

**Edit** Oh, and.....I'd also suggest to remember it might take the new wolf a little while to realize he's a wolf, that he is scary, if he is, and to get used to it enough to tell someone it's him and not go insane, lol.

8. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Miyazaki

I'm not sure if you've ever seen this, but yeah:
    Spirited Away

9. Spherical Time

I was thinking Princess Mononoke, but yeah, this has a definite Hayao Miyazaki feel to it.