1. Evangeline Rose

Evangeline Rose New Member

Looking for Reccomendations of Books on Outlining

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Evangeline Rose, Jan 13, 2016.

I'm not sure I'm putting this in the right place, but it has come to my attention that I am not as good as outlining as I thought I was. ("There's no way for me to know what any of this means! If you send this to a publisher, they're never going to ask you to write this book.") I always thought of outlining as a personal tool, something to set out the plot for the writer, but I guess not? Can somebody please recommend some books that help explain how to make a good outline? Thanks in advance.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't know of an entire book on this subject but @jannert just posted a Writer's Digest link that was all about outlining:
    The post.
    The link.

3. AASmith

AASmith Senior Member

If outlining isn't working for you, maybe you shouldn't do it? It doesn't work for everyone.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Unrelated but I love your username!

5. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

An outline/synopsis to send to a publisher showing them the details of a finished book, is a very different beast to an outline for yourself to help you write the book in the first place.

Which are you actually trying to write?