1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Is this type of cell phone technology possible?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ryan Elder, Dec 12, 2015.

For my story, I was wondering if it's technologically possible for a person to send text messages from a cell phone, but make the person he is sending them to, believe that it's coming from someone else's phone, to trick him.

I am assuming that is possible but I do not know how it could be done, when explaining it to the reader. Does anyone know how to fool someone into thinking it's coming from their friend's phone, instead of their enemy's?

2. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

It's absolutely possible! It's called "spoofing" and it's entirely legal. You can find a bunch of information online, as well as a huge list of programs to help you do it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. Well after reading the article, if 'spoofing' is possible, perhaps it's not the best plot idea. The villain might not fall for someone else texting him, if it can be done so easily. He will probably want a voice confirmation cause if spoofing is that easy, then the villain might look too stupid, if he falls for such an easy trick then.

4. AgentBen

AgentBen Member

I don't think that sort of thing is common though.

5. Jack Asher

It is incredibly common. There are around 200,000 cases of phone fraud a day in the US, most of them perpetrated with a spoofed caller ID.

6. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Well the villain probably wouldn't fall it for such a trick then, if it's common. Like if the villain is careful enough to not get caught for a whole story, but then is able to be fooled by a common trick, it will probably make him look stupid, and inconsistent with his previous intelligence then.

7. Jack Asher

Maybe? The thing is that the spoofed caller ID can be anyone. So if he had a number in his contact list, it would just show up as that contact calling him. When I was working fraud at Verizon we'd get calls from people saying, "My mom called me, but it was someone I didn't know on the line!" Or more frequently, "It says I got a call from my own number!"

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's pretty common with the dozens of spam calls I get every week.

But the only spam text I've gotten was from the stupid phone company. :p

9. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

I had a client do this to me once. Got real creepy real fast. I fired him, and he slowly went away.