Is this worthy of the title "futuristic?"

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GuardianWynn, Jul 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Yeah. A good setting can provide more than one character a backstory. :D

2. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

And a good setting can provide a ton of great stories, especially if built right.

3. GuardianWynn

Yep. Wish it was a tad bit easier to know if the set up we have is good or not. lol

I like to think so but I think some days I am simply kidding myself.

4. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

Okay, so back to the title of "futuristic". Absolutely, you've moved into that realm, but my questions in the previous are still valid -- in that -- where are you at in the future?

5. Daemon Wolf

Lol, yeah I know that feeling. I get so inspired from a lot of other works I'm afraid my universe and stories are just a retelling.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  6. GuardianWynn

I am on my phone. So maybe I missed a detail. I always try to address everything someone says. :)

What do you mean by where?
    Also what is a 30odd6? You were the one that mentioned that right?

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  7. GuardianWynn

That is the one thing I am not scared of. lol Mainly because my universe shouts it rather loudly that it is using lots of concepts. The only common theme is action. I mean if action comes from a tech warrior. Or a hippy using a dandilion to crush a Arch Demon! Or if it is an assassin that is stealthy killing someone. Or spellcaster blowing stuff up! My universe gots it all! So figured it is impossible for all my stuff to not have been covered somewhere before me. lol

8. Daemon Wolf

Although I have a lot of things going on in my universe that are all their own I still look back to works like Halo and even Firefly that helped influence my work and some times I think too much so.

And I have genetically altered super soldiers built to kill for killings sake by a malevolent company and some who find out it's wrong and turn good (the basis of my story right now), that and "modders" who add parts to themselves either through splicing or other means (Man with 4 arms and another with 3 and even a girl with cat ears). I love writing futuristic stories, so much can happen. Which does make me think if I should add in a more horror element to it with vampires and the like because the last major expansion inspired a lot of stories about vampires and werewolves coming with us across the seas to america and causing trouble. So why couldn't the same thing be said with space travel? I just have so much going on that I'm afraid it would make it too much for my universe.

9. GuardianWynn

I am half suprised you didn't pause at the Arch Demon being killed by a Dandilion! A friend of mine thinks that is silly as heck.

As for too much. I think it comes down to pacing. Think of food? What is too much food? Trick question. You wouldn't set a time of meeting without a place or visa vera. So you can't judge if is too much food unless we are guaging a point of time it is meant to last. Because how much food you think is too much for one night certainly isn't the same for one full week.

Did I make my point? If not I mean adding more layers to your story or universe works only if the story expands as a result. Instead of adding werewolves to book 1. or series 1. Adding vampires to a sequal as the premise of the sequal or alternate story in a world I think is just fine. That is what my Universe "The Order" does. It has expanding in so many directsions all the things I have amost have too much room. lol

10. Daemon Wolf

A lot of ways to kill a demon with a dandelion if you know how to write it in and are creative enough.

And yeah I was thinking of my universe in general. There is already a major war between an evil company and the group who are trying to set things right in Terran Space (Prometheus) along with a major outbreak called The Darkness Plague which is actually a parasitic alien race that turns organics and machines into their own creatures and such. Hence why my universe is known as (right now) "The Darkness Plague". That and the fact that the rich completely ignore everything that happens outside their doors (Rich stay in the center and poor stay at the edges). I already have an idea for my sequel which will take place in a more apocalyptic type universe where The Darkness Plague parasite aliens are taking over the known universe. So I don't know if I could add in werewolves or vampires to that (maybe if they just are there to help or are drawn out by the fact not a lot of people are alive).

11. GuardianWynn

You seem nice. Before this topic gets completely derailed. Again. Would you like to continue this chat in a PM? :)

12. Daemon Wolf

You too and lol. Yeah. I am new to this forum so I don't know where to go to create one.

13. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I guess I should have said: what form does the magic take? Like, how is it used in everyday life?

14. Sack-a-Doo!

The reason I got interested in your post is because I currently have a first draft of a story that's about to go under the knife for rewrites and in that story, I've mixed magic and science as well, although in a completely different way. In e=MagiC Squared (I can't find a way to to a superscript, so I had to write it out) a magic spell was cast thousands of years ago. It changed the laws of physics and led to the birth of all electrically-based technology. Before the spell, electricity couldn't be harnessed. The spell is about to wear off. The guy who's supposed to renew the spell doesn't know about his legacy (he's descending from the guy who cast the original spell) because he was orphaned at a very young age.

So, you see, mixing magic and science is kind of on my mind ATM. :)

GuardianWynn likes this.
  15. GuardianWynn

Aw I see.
    In my world magic lacks practical application for the most part. It is more or less a carnival trick.
    Military uses magic but this is because they focus on it. Magic to the average person can fill minor assistances. Like a fire spell can replace a lighter. Doing so cost the average person a few weeks of practice. But the application is little. In a fight a gun is better. You need years of practice before a it becomes better than a gun.

There is very little magic can do that tech can't do. Since magic has to be personally done. Unlike tech which can be done for you. The main thing that tech can't replace is stat based magic. Which allows a person to increase the physical abilities of a person. At the low end a person just seems better than there muscles should be. At the high end. Military trained stat enhancements make a person fast enough to dodge automatic gun fire at a distance even as short as 5 feet.

Is that what you mean? Anything else?

That is a neat concept. :)

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  16. Sack-a-Doo!

Nope. I get it now. :)

:)
    Thanks.

17. GuardianWynn

So what do you think?

18. Sack-a-Doo!

It's more complex than something I'd come up with, but I think I've been heavily influenced by so many years of screenwriting. :)

19. AspiringNovelist

Oh, okay. Then your category would be Sci-Fi-Fantasy like these books: http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

A 30 Odd 6 is a hunting rifle with tremendous knockdown power. Between 100-150 yards, with the right ammo, the 30 Odd 6 can drop a 500 pound wildebeest.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  20. GuardianWynn

The link you posted look more like it was referring to Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Not Sci-Fantasy.

Also my world would have a hunting rifle. It is a nice choice of weapon in the fact it can possible hit people unaware. But in relation to my tech fighter. She wants to be able to fight like a soldier. I don't think a hunting rifle is the best choice for her. It's bulk and lack of speed I don't think she would consier a good trade off for its raw power.

21. AspiringNovelist

Hmmm. There are plenty in that list that I would categorize as Sci-Fantasy. I'll run through and pick out some that I feel are in your genre. I still don't see an issue with you listing your story as Sci-Fiction-Fantasy. I did a search in Amazon books for "Sci-Fi-Fantasy" and it pulled over a 100 pages in hits.

Here are some that you might want to look into...

The Colour of Magic

Terry Pratchett (1983)

The first Discworld novel introduces us to a universe populated by wizards, witches and Death himself. To have these comic stories and gentle pastiches of Tolkien, and everymyth and fairy tale, lapped up by 70 million readers is a spectacular achievement.

The Kingkiller Chronicles
    by Patrick Rothfuss

This suspenseful coming-of-age story folllows Kvothe as he recounts his transformation from a magically gifted young man into the most notorious wizard, musician, thief and assassin in his world.

Starship Troopers
    by Robert A. Heinlein

In one of Robert A. Heinlein's most controversial novels, a recruit of the future goes through the toughest boot camp in the universe and into battle with the Terran Mobile Infantry against humankind's most frightening enemy.

The Amber Chronicles
    by Roger Zelazny

Zelazny's tales of Corwin, prince of the "true world" of Amber (of which our Earth is merely a shadow) and his son Merlin, a magic-user/computer hacker, have spanned several decades. Amid the eternal struggle between Order and Chaos, Zelazny delights in tossing in allusions to Shakespeare, the Tarot and quantum mechanics.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    GuardianWynn likes this.