1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Is typing mindless things creativity?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Link the Writer, Feb 2, 2012.

Just out of curiosity.

It occured to me that I often like to open a Word document and just type whatever I want. A scene I could use, "articles", notes, etc.

Is this what you're supposed to be doing when you're not writing a book, but just being creative? Could this be considered 'writing' even though it's not a story I'm working on?

2. jc.

jc. Contributing Member

I do this all the time. Even when I'm not actually working on my story/book, I'm usually doing some kind of brainstorming or writing exercise. Just now I bookmarked a good six pages that are relevant to a young adult thriller I'm working on.

At the moment I'm making notecards and writing chapter scenes and synopses on them.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Supposed to be doing, according to whom? Considered writing by whom?

What you describe above does not strike me as mindless. Do you ever get a good idea out of it, something you decide to pursue and try to make into a finished work of some kind? If so, who cares what anyone else would call it? To me, yes, it certainly seems like creativity.

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I think it is a good idea.
    I find picture writing is cool.
    It is almost like painting with words.
    Looking at a picture or a film for example that you like and turning it into an articles.
    You could write film reviews/games/articles as blogs or of latest film/painting/cartoons/sports articles to keep yoru flow of writing going.
    It works if you have hobbies or you like certain things you can justwrite a summary/an opinion poll or even a comedy sketch just for fun.

5. Kitty08

Kitty08 Member

Absolutely it's creativity. Maybe it's not anything you'll ever use, but it's still making those brain cells work. The more you write--no matter how useless it might be--the better your writing will get.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I think it's creative, because in spite of what you said, it isn't really mindless. It's practically impossible for a human being to type mindlessly. There's always thought going on, ideas popping up, the music of prose appearing on the screen. The thoughts and ideas may not be well connected - may be very disorganized, in fact - but that's what happens when you sit down at the computer and just spew out whatever pops into your head.

But I bet after you've done this for a while, you could go back and read it over and find a gem of an idea or two in there. You are, after all, simply brainstorming at the keyboard.

7. Xatyrn

Xatyrn Member

Of course it's writing! Though you may feel it's mindless because you aren't deeply concentrating on the details, it really isn't -- and sometimes good works can come from a natural flow of words.

8. Drusilla

Drusilla Active Member

Well, I consider it writing. It's a healthy way of letting your spirit free. When you don't know what to write, just write!

9. Cosmic Latte

Cosmic Latte Member

Definitely not mindless.

Someone once said doodling with words was like thinking on paper.

10. quincarroll

quincarroll Member

I did something like that a couple of days ago, and what I typed out became what I will use in the next weekly writing contest.

It's not all that long, but I got an idea and ran with it.

11. jc.

jc. Contributing Member

I think that any time you're trying to write something down, you're working your brain in some way. Even writing down my grocery list makes me think... and word games help too.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

very true, I like the word 'doodling'.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it's coming from your mind, how can it be 'mindless'?

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

if it's mindless I wouldn't call it creativity, no.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Thanks for the responses. It makes sense, as the random things I write may eventually turn into a story.

Just now I wrote a climax about a daughter and her distant father joining together to finish off a powerful enemy. Long story short, I wanted to see what would happen if the father, a former POW from a rival clan, wound up having to raise a child from the clan that once persecuted his people. The climax is the two finally putting aside their differences to save the day.

16. UberNoodle

UberNoodle Senior Member

Perhaps we need to consider that not all prose need become a novel or even a short story. Perhaps, like a haiku, just one brief disconnected beat in time, is enough to complete the art. I tell myself this because that's pretty much all I have!