1. Radhika

Radhika Member

Is writing the easiest form of art?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Radhika, Feb 28, 2011.

When I think about art that stimulates the 6 senses (the sixth being the brain), writing always seems so cheap in comparison to the others. All you need is a pen and paper, and I believe that manipulating words to form all of the other senses within a human's brain seems to be the easiest act. Perhaps this is because they teach this to you at school. Do schools force you to learn how to draw or sculpt or take photos? No. My drastic change in writing occurred in 4th grade, when most of the year was focused on writing essays and the test at the end of the year was what I did best - writing stories. They don't give us a test on how to draw a flower.
    Does anyone agree with me or am I just insane?
    Voice your opinions.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Anyone can throw words at a blank piece of paper, or paint against a blank canvas, or a sequence of tones into a vast silence. But art is much harder to come by in any medium. Indeed, if it is easy, the bar is raised to exclude all but the best in any creative endeavor.

3. JeffS65

JeffS65 Contributing Member

I like to be creative. I've done graphic design for a number of years now. I've been a musician for 25yrs. I'm starting to learn how to paint (better....in high school I did a little...).

I've taken on writing as a serious form of creativity as of late. Always wanted to but never took it seriously until I had something I wanted to write.

My point is that creative endeavors are as creative and challenging as you wish them to be.

When I take on a new creative challenge, I tend to aim to make what I do the quality of the people who are the best at the discipline. Do I reach that level? In my opinion, likely not but that keeps me moving forward and improving.

So, to the question; writing is a very challenging discipline and as much so as any other that I've taken on.

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

I've always felt writing was one of the hardest things to do. Sure, you can just write down words, but that doesn't make it art... or good. Conveying emotions through words is extremely difficult, and something not even all published authors manage. And making people feel is what makes something art.

I would dare to say, to me, music is an easier form of art (played piano for 14 years). Not because it's easier to master, but because it's easier to convey emotions through music than through words.

5. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Contributing Member Contributor

I can't think of a single medium where artistic brilliance comes easier or more frequently than any other. Words, notes, paint, clay... shaping any of those things into something that makes the heart go "Ah!" comes from the same place. Different artists are better in different ways with different tools is all.

6. BobLobLaw

BobLobLaw Member

No, writing is not the easiest form of art. Like anything else, it requires lots of practice to actually be good at it. You have to know what makes your readers tick. You need to know how to make it convincing. It has to make sense, and make as little plot holes as possible. There's also voice, point of view, dialogue and a ton of other things to consider while writing.

So no, it is not the easier form of art.

7. Chronopunk

Chronopunk Member

When I was in college I worked for a while in the Art building and got to know some aspiring artists. I was talking to one of them once about how I kind of envied painters (his discipline) in that they had so many more tools for invoking emotion; color, composition, shape, etc. All the writer has is words in a row.

He said that he kind of envied writers, in that the writer can show what is in the subject's head, where the painter can only show the outside.

Art is hard. The different forms are just hard in different ways.

8. Paris_Love

Paris_Love Member

I think what you meant was most easily accessible. I think singing might be the absolute most easily accessible art form. You don't even need to be literate to make pleasing sounds with your voice.

9. Quorum1

Quorum1 Member

It might be somewhat easier to pick up a pen and write words on a page, but making those words art is the challenge. With all creative aspirations there is mastery and subtlety to be cultivated, all are challenging to make into art.

In addition to writing, I also enjoy oil painting, sketching, photography and music (as a student of the violin), I could much easier produce a work I would call art on a canvas or with my voilin than I could with words (at this point anyhow).

10. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributing Member Contributor

I think it varies from person to person.

I have a friend who is an excellent storyteller orally. He can't write very well, but if you listen to him speak, you get drawn in very easily.

There are painters that can tell a story through their pictures. There are also painters that demonstrate their art via their technique.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I think Ellipse is right. Some people are very talented in visual arts, and for them, drawing and painting would be easier than music and writing. Others are talented in other ways. I've been a keen guitarist and singer for 37 years now, and I feel that writing is much harder than music. I can sit in a chair with my guitar and noodle away at it, playing rock solos along with the radio, with my brain turned off. I've recorded myself doing this and I'm not bad. But I can't turn my brain off to write. For writing, my brain has to be on - FULLY on.

And there's a difference between just writing and writing really well. It's like the difference between talking and singing. Everybody can talk, but how many can really sing?

12. guamyankee

guamyankee Contributing Member

A single painting probably takes less time to complete than a full length novel. I'm not saying that makes it any easier. And paintings aren't even the beginning of the many forms or art, just as a novel is not the only form of writing.

It's all hard, if you want to produce something worthwhile.

13. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

I have seen art being created with some glue and plastic wastes. If you consider the trees required to create the papers, writing on paper isn't so cheap.

14. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth Contributing Member

I believe that manipulating words to form all of the other senses within a human's brain seems to be the easiest act.
    Believe it if you want, but the belief is incorrect. . .Language is more complex and requires more brain power to understand and use in comparison to visual arts.
    Language employs semiosis – specific signs/sounds/symbols representing specific meanings. Learning semiosi requires an entirely different order of intellect and education than recognizing the pictorial symbolism of art.
    With no schooling chimps can recognize a painting of another chimp as a chimp, but they cannot recognize the word ‘chimp’ as representative of a chimpanzee. Art symbology can be devoid of semiosis, writing does not have that luxury.
    Furthermore, words don’t "form senses in the human brain," prior to senses forming words in the human brain. Our senses rely on physical stimuli: light waves, sound waves, molecules stimulating the tongue and so on. This is true for a mosquito, rat and human.
    Langue however takes the process one step further (and beyhond the abilites of a mosquito and rat)...Language also relies on sensory input (and can be formulated on, Touch: Braille, Sight: written words or Hearing: spoken words) but the interpretation of the data received from our senses must undergo additional processing to be deciphered and manipulated as a language based on semiosis.

So back to Art…Art relying on semiosis requires a higher order of brain power to create and correctly interpret than art independent of semiosis.
    In short, you statement that writing is the “Easiest act” is scientifically incorrect.

the sixth being the brain
    The brain is not a sense. Sorry to say, but it seems your understanding of cognitive processes is rather flawed, leading you to incorrect conclusions.

15. Radhika

Radhika Member

I believe that this thread didn't convey the message I was trying to say. Writing is hard, but the fact that they teach it at schools and it is necessary for every person these days makes it feel so cheap. As for the singing topic, I believe that is something you need real talent in. Writing - I don't feel there is much talent involved. If so, it seems to not be shown in the writer's I've been exposed to (perhaps I have been exposed to some bad writers?).
    Math isn't an art. It's taught in schools.
    That's why I feel like writing seems to be - cheap?
    Is there any understanding about what I'm trying to say?

16. Chronopunk

Chronopunk Member

What writers have you been 'exposed' to?

By your logic, since nearly every person alive can run and catch a ball and throw a ball, there's no talent involved in being a professional athlete.

17. guamyankee

guamyankee Contributing Member

What writers have you been exposed to?

18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

How much reading do you do, and what do you read?

ChickenFreak

19. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth Contributing Member

I believe that this thread didn't convey the message I was trying to say..
    The only explanation for that would be you did not write your opening thread well enough to convey the message you wanted to get across.

Writing - I don't feel there is much talent involved.
    So then why did you fail in “trying to say” what you wished to say?

Writing is hard, but the fact that they teach it at schools and it is necessary for every person these days makes it feel so cheap.
    Why? I don’t see the logical connection. Does that fact that farting is not taught in school make farting seem wondrous, rich and requiring copious talent to enact?

Is there any understanding about what I'm trying to say?]It seems not. You will need to employ more talent in your writing in order to express what you are “trying to say”...

20. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Are you saying that if it's taught in schools, then it's not an art? All kinds of arts are taught in schools. Many famous schools specialize in the teaching of specific arts.

The simple fact that one should be able to write a decent, coherent paragraph in order to graduate from high school doesn't mean writing isn't an art. There's a huge difference between basic communication and well-written fiction. I think the singing analogy applies. You have to be able to talk in order to get by in society - it's basic information. But carrying a tune is something else. Vocal technique is something else. Communication of emotion through phrasing and dynamics is something else. You use the same organs in speech and in singing, but nobody would say they're the same thing.

To make the metaphor plain: in your terms, what is "taught in schools" is talking. Singing is not "taught in schools" unless you attend specific writing classes. There's a huge difference.

21. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

They tried to teach me art and music in school lol For me personally writing is the easiest art form because it is the one I can do.

I don't know if it is easier or not - certainly it is as time consuming.

22. evelon

evelon Active Member

If you mean picking up a pen and filling a page with words, then you're right, writing needs no talent. In the same way, painting needs no talent if it entails no more than picking up a paintbrush and filling a canvas with colour. Neither does singing. Most people sing, in the shower, in the car. Not well maybe, but they sing.

We can all do all of these things. That doesn't make them 'cheap'. Most of us recognise that painters, singers - and writers, who stand out from the crowd, have talent, take the talent and work with it.

A writer doesn't just throw words onto a page and hope that his reader can understand the message he is trying to get across. Like a potter who throws clay on the wheel, he must shape the story, manipulate his materials (words) to give it life and meaning.

Maybe you think it's cheap because so many people aspire to be writers but don't necessarily want to put in the effort to learn the craft. You have a point there.
    But don't tar the writer who works, probably harder than you'll ever understand, to perfect his art.

And if you want to denegrate the art of writing - learn to do it well first, then perhaps you will be able your argue your case in a more authorititve manner.

23. w176

w176 Contributing Member Contributor

Writing is the easiest form of art? Lol. Ask an analfabet or dyslectic about that.

You spend hours daily for years with a teacher guiding every step to to learn just the basics of writing and reading. It nothing that comes natural to human beings.
    On the other hand small children can learn to hum and sing as a part of the natural language development, and with gladly experiment with any sort of paint or clay given half a chance.

24. Fiona

Fiona Member

Disagree strongly that writing is the easiest form of art. Sure, anybody can pick up a pen and write words - but it's how you write, the way you use those words and the stories you build that is the real art. That takes hard work, dedication.

25. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

This post does not make sense and the author of it has not put enough thought or research into what he is saying.

In all forms of art there will be varying degrees of talent, whether natural or acquired by hard work and study is immaterial.

There are the greats Leonardo da Vinci, Michael Angelo, Wolfgang Armadeus Mozart, William Shakespeare etc. beneath these superior artists are many great/average and mediocre talents.

Read some of the classics ( War and Peace, Anna Karenina, The Great Gatsby / Dickens, Shakespeare, Austen the list goes on) and then come back and tell us writing is cheap compared to other forms of art.