Is your world impossible?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Wreybies, May 22, 2014.

1. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Will it have a queen and a Ripley?

2. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Mine's pretty much like earth, except there's a giant black hole just sitting somewhere for a person to find that will lead them to 'god'. Or I envision it as something akin to a black hole, like a ginormous whirlpool that leads somewhere else, whatever floats your boat really, it's presence is more symbolic than anything despite it's actual presence.

3. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

The story I plan on writing has an impossible world built into it. There's our world Earth, and then a world that consists of monsters and human-like creatures. It exists was created from a chemical explosion and exists in another dimension, so I doubt it can actually exist XD

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If the planet was larger than earth but had the same mass, wouldn't gravity on the surface be slightly less (because the distance from the surface to the center of mass is greater; F = G x m1 x m2 / r^2)?

Likewise, if it was larger and less dense, therefore having less mass, wouldn't the surface gravity likewise be lower?

5. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Yes

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, clearly this is true. Further along in the conversation I concede that such a planet can form. The issue I meant to point out is that such a planet (larger but with less mass) is very unlikely to have an internal structure that would keep a magnetic field in operation like we have on Earth. It would have to be much more of a rocky structure with significantly fewer metals and heavier radioactive elements. So, not a likely place for humans to walk around unshielded or unaided.

Steerpike likes this.
  7. Some_Bloke

Some_Bloke Active Member

The majority of my planets are Earth-like but with some differences such as landscape and temperature. Terraforming also exists in my universe, but it takes several decades.

The only planet that requires some suspension of disbelief is the homeworld of the Exen. From a galaxy just outside of our own it's coated in gas that's toxic to oxygen-breathing species so all life originating on that planet has thus adapted to breathe nothing but that gas, most notably the Exen. The gas is there in the first place due to multiple bio-weapons being launched during a massive war in their planet's history. The Exen became the Exen (a partially cybernetic species) in order to survive and over-time they adapted to the gas.

Yeah, it's not exactly realistic but at least their homeworld isn't as bad as Crematoria

8. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

There seems to be various levels of the unacceptable for people. I don't mind the completely outlandish as long as it's consistently outlandish. Characters have been surviving ridiculous fist fights for as long as I can remember. I couldn't follow Interstellar because of the inconsistencies. In the end it was just magical hand waving that brought the movie to a close as far as I could tell.

9. Yelnoc

Yelnoc New Member

I couldn't follow Interstellar because I couldn't hear the dialog. But I won't go there.

Not all Sci-Fi has to be Hard Sci-Fi. Star Wars certainly isn't about the science. But it's still science fiction. I try not to get hung up about impossibilities in the genre when there is something else that is central to the work. But when the technology is central to the piece, the creators had better get it right. And since Interstellar goes to great pains to tell we audience members that it's paying attention to relativity and the like, all the obnoxious inconsistencies really get on my nerves.

I really didn't like that movie.

minstrel likes this.
  10. Karwedsky

Karwedsky Member

The main plot in my story pertains to time-travel so I'm having to balance on the edge between believable and impossible.

11. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

No. That like that. If it was a joke, fine. If it was sarcasm, yeaaah...

Rather, thinking of a invertebrate that communicate through physical contact and epidermal nerve endings that come into contact between individuals. They would be grouped in colonies, so it's not entirely one large hive across the planet, but each colony's individuals are in contact with other individuals and can communicate with someone miles away in the same colony via a relay system.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014