1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

It ain't me, babe. No, really, it's not. I Promise.

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Garball, May 1, 2014.

There was a poem I posted yesterday in the workshop and I decided to let my therapist GF read it. She thought it was pretty dark. When I told her what sparked the poem she looked at me like I needed to be on the couch in the office immediately. The poem itself is going to be one of a five part work based on the stages of grief.

I tried to explain that what we authors write may be founded on real feelings, but the writing is greatly expounded and often an exaggeration. I don't live my life feeling as strong as my words, but can't deny that the thought hadn't crossed my mind. For instance, if I were to write an angry poem or story, that does not make me an angry person; however, I could not deny never having experienced that emotion.

I had the same problem when I let a loved one read my MS about quite a misanthropic person. I was questioned if that person was me. Were parts of him me? Sure, but not to the level he is illustrated.

I have learned not to let people who truly know me read what I write because my words become me, not the other way around.

outsider likes this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

We'll always be judged by our words & our worlds. Everyone is. It's just life. The odd thing is it's harder for a writer to get some creative breathing room. Stephen King might be thought a genius but he's also probably thought of as a nut for constantly thinking ups so many dark things. My mom gives me sideways looks when I tell her I'm writing about a cockroach apocalypse. ( and you seem like such a nice girl! )

And to be honest after only having gotten through a bit of American Psycho, I'm guilty of judgement - as I can only think Ellis needs some couch time - extensive couch time.

I don't know if a writer can be separated from his works. Not in the readers eyes anyway.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Never never never let a therapist read anything creative that can be construed as having feelings. That was mistake one, two, five, and eight that you made.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Well, Peach, you have to admit that's not what a mom expects to hear when she asks her daughter, "How are things, dear?"

peachalulu likes this.
  5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Lol, the trouble is she's expecting me to become the next Lucy Maud Montgomery. I love Anne of Green Gables but if I was to write something like it it would come out like one of the horror stories Rachel Lind told of the orphan who put strychnine in the well.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I see a chasm that cannot be spanned.

peachalulu likes this.
  7. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Maybe try to sound enthusiastic about the character you're portraying, and what methods you are employing to do so?

"Yeah, I've been trying to capture the feel of..."

"We all have thoughts like that now and again. I just wanted to see what it's like to have those thoughts all the time, and what images closely related to those for people."

"Here she says she likes pears, but that REALLY means that she hates apples. I was hoping that combined with her indifference regarding oranges would imply a fear of direct communication."

Okay, you obviously shouldn't have to explain every line or anything like such. What I'm getting at is just saying one or two things along those lines might help her understand this is a craft for you, and that your MS isn't just thousands of words crying out for help.

Garball likes this.
  8. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Can absolutely identify with the type of predicament @Garball speaks of. To be honest, I'm of the school of thought now that only designated beta readers and prospective publishers shall cast their gaze over any work.
    It can be problematic if it hinders a writer's creative or artistic output for fear of how it may be received by those around them.

Garball likes this.