Tags:
  1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

US Army Adopts the Wii

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Apr 1, 2008.

NOTE: I posted the text from the article because the background of the actual site can make reading a little hard.

US Army Adopts the Wii

You've used it to virtually swing a racket, smack a homerun and hurl a bowling ball. The U.S. military, however, wants to use it to defuse real-world bombs.

According to a report by New Scientist magazine, enterprising engineers at the U.S. Department of Energy have made it possible to control a bomb-defusing robot with the same Nintendo Wii remote that millions of gamers consider a natural extension of their hands.

The military has been working with the hardy Packbot for some time now, using the wheeled robot to sniff out and defuse explosives and landmines for U.S. soldiers. Traditionally, control over the bot has been accomplished with a joypad not unlike the kind that comes with an Xbox or a Playstation. That might seem like an easy fit for today's tech-savvy soldier, but head engineer David Bruemmer notes otherwise.

"Our tests show 90 per cent of the operator's workload goes into driving the robot rather than keeping an eye on the sensor data," he said.

By virtue of its unique motion-detection capabilities, the Wiimote has streamlined the process and allows operators to focus more on the collected data and less on how to steer the Packbot. Bruemmer and his crew have also tweaked the Wii's vibration feedback technology to "buzz" the operator when the Packbot detects something of interest in the field.

iRobot, manufacturers of the Packbot, know a thing or two about cleaning up sticky situations -- they first hit consumer paydirt in 2002 with their automated Roomba vacuum-cleaning robot.

2. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Haha! Now that's innovative! :D

3. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Revolution :p

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Actually, the Nintendo Wii was named the "Revolution" for quite some time.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I know. Thats the joke silly :p... well its all laughs and pineapples until a remote flys through the TV...

6. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

That's actually pretty cool lol... adds to the gaming experience when the bombs are more realistic :p

I've had a couple of examples of people come back to Comet, where I work, who have actually thrown a Wii remote through their television (usually blame the kids!). It can get quite abusive when you tell them that the manufacturer's guarantee doesn't cover accidental damage and the only way we can do anything is if they've taken out our optional cover...

7. Slippery

Slippery New Member

That person is the same guy who goes into McDonalds with a Burger King coupon and demands a discount based on the premise of competition.

8. Kit

Absolutely!

We get people coming into us with Currys receipts demanding a refund because we're part of the same company too... erm... we're not? Lol.

The Wiis are actually pretty cool, although since the price of the xbox 360 dropped I think I might go for the 360.

9. Slippery

Slippery New Member

A stiff and hearty upgrade to my desktop pc seems more likely in my future than a console...

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I just never seem to find time for video games.

11. Kit

Me neither to be fair, can't remember the last time I played a game that wasn't brain training for the DS lol.

I haven't been on a Wii in months.

12. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

:eek: no time for video games. you are missing an important part of your adult life:D

US military always comes up with these things.