1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Italian descent, but born in England

Discussion in 'Research' started by OurJud, Sep 11, 2016.

What is the likelihood of a woman born and raised in England but of Italian decent, having an Italian Christian name?

Would it depend on how far removed? Let's say her parents were born and raised in England too. Or maybe only her father is Italian.

I want this person to have Italian characteristics, but not such an Italian sounding name that the reader immediately pictures a typical Italian woman with an Italian accent.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sure, why not. I'm a second gen Puerto Rican raised in the U.S. and my name is Reinaldo (roll that R for extra sexy ;) ). Doesn't get much more Spanish than that. By contrast, my hubby, born and raised here in PR, is named William. Not Guillermo (the Spanish equivalent), but William. In America there's a saying concerning people of Irish descent (in those places in America where Irish descent is strong) that they're more Irish than the Irish.

OurJud likes this.
  3. Jarvis XIX

Jarvis XIX Member

I think you'd be fine. My partner is of Danish descent (her grandmother) and there are quite a lot of Scandinavian names amongst the family.

OurJud likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Not going never to Boston, never.

5. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

IDK about the history of Italians in England, but practically half of New York is Italian- either first generation, second, third, fourth, or "fresh off the boat" and Italy isn't a mere skip away, so I imagine there's a sizable Italian-English population. Half the ppl I have known in life are Italian-American, either their parents were from Italy or their grand parents, or greats. Italian heritage is very strong and proud, so they can be many generations removed but still very traditional. Many American-Italians have Italian names but some with general names (like Kristen or James) Just Google for "little Italy" or Italian language meet ups in the uk and you will find your local Italians.

OurJud likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't see why not - especially as her father could easily have named her after his mother or grandmother , also theres a fair cross over with names like maria and natalia being common in people with no italian descent..

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

And in the UK, it's common knowledge that everybody from the US has either Irish or Scottish ancestors!