1. Maddi Mandrake

Maddi Mandrake New Member

Blasphemous Preludes

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Maddi Mandrake, May 25, 2014.

Basically here to make internet comrades and jokes while having fun writing.
    HAHAH FUN WRITING?! No, it sucks but its the only thing that makes me get up in the morning. You know what I'm taking about right? Sometimes I see no reason for living besides this great thing I do—correction, that we all do. Because it is great despite what we all think of our art.

So hello all, I hope to be contributing to many constructive critiques while maybe getting a few. My name is Maddi and I'm based in Los Angeles. I'm always up for any kind of talk, please don't hesitate! :D

Which brings me to my next question: What author do you most aspire to write like and why? For me, its a mix between Martin Amis and Francesca Lia Block.

cutecat22 likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

I aspire to the wordmithery of China Miéville combined with the unrepressed sensuality of Anne Rice. ;)

Please have a quick read through the New Member Quick Start where you'll find link to the Forum Rules, and the FAQ.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

I admire the rhythms and power of Robinson Jeffers, the gleeful virtuosity of later Anthony Burgess, the narrative energy and vivid color of Rudyard Kipling, the freshness of imagery I find in John Steinbeck, the descriptive powers of Joseph Conrad, the vision of Arthur C. Clarke... I could go on. I want to write like all these guys.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Maddi.

I have one request - please post with a larger font. Some of us older folks struggle with tiny type.

As for your question, I would say Ernest Hemingway's simple power, James Michener's factual accuracy, E. M. Forster's sense of time and place, Paulo Coelho's ability to state profound truths simply and elegantly, and Charles Dickens' knack for memorable characters.

5. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

I like lots of different authors (and lots of different genres) but the author I most aspire to, is myself. Not that I'm famous, well known or good by everyone's standards (or should that be anyone's standards) but I would like to think that I am myself, write how I want to write and be the best that I personally can be.

Welcome to the forum, I have found an absolutely fab bunch of people here.

xx

minstrel likes this.