1. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Happy Days Are Here Again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by (Mark), Mar 31, 2008.

Baseball season more or less started today. While it's true that Boston and Oakland played two games in Japan already, there were still exhibition games left to play. Now those games are done for, and Washington just beat Atlanta 3-2 in the new Nationals ballpark.

It's looking like 2008 is going to be an exciting year for the game. The Mets got Johan Santana so they'll be a force in the National East. The Braves seem to have become a stronger team even if they did lose to Washington in day one. The Red Sox managed to keep all of their powerhouse players and have set themselves up to at least get to October and do fairly well there. The Detroit Tigers are looking like they're going to be out of control with the addition of Miguel Cabrera.

At any rate, I predict Boston and Detroit to be the teams to beat in the American League, and New York, Atlanta, and every team in the National West but San Francisco to be the team to beat in the National League.

There has to be at least one person on this website that cares about baseball besides myself. Anyone..?

2. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

BOSTON WILL BEAT EVERYONE. i predict cabrera wont be as good as he was before

3. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Why do you say that? I haven't been able to pay as much attention to Spring Training as I would have liked, but he seemed pretty solid there.

Boston has won two out of the last four. Hell really must have frozen over for us to be living in a world where the Red Sox are becoming a dynasty.

4. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I can't say I like baseball whatsoever. Basketball, football, and maybe even futbol on the seldom occasion, but baseball has never really captivated me.

5. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

There was a time in my life where it didn't much hold my interest either. I've always liked the Yankees, but I didn't really care about the sport until a couple of years ago when I worked in a restaurant that housed a sports bar. Everyone who worked there lived for baseball, so I started watching it all the time, then talking about it, and the rest is history.

6. soujiroseta

i just dont think cabrera will adjsut in time to make the impact he's capable of.

as for my beloved red sox...well these things are becoming a formality for us

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Go Bulls! XD

Yeah I'm not a sports fan period. Only sport I've ever watched is the superbowl and only because a special episode of House was on afterwards :p.

I did collect baseball card though! 5,234 at last count insluding multiples.

8. soujiroseta

connolly since when did you become a supproter? just this morning i could have sworn you were like the rest of us:)

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

He was probably bitten by one of the other supporters and contracted the S-Virus. Its like th T-Virus, but instead of making you a zombie who hugners for brains it makes you a supporter :p.

10. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I became a supporter about an hour ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I suppose it's true that Cabrera isn't messing around with a mediocre National League team anymore, but he's such a good player I think he'll do well anywhere, sort of like Alex Rodriguez unless it's the postseason.

11. soujiroseta

well bite me!!!:D

if cabrera can keep his form from the last season there's no telling what damage he can do, but as always im skeptical too many of these things happen where a good player makes a big move and becomes average

12. lessa

lessa New Member

Can't stand baseball. But go Jays.
    my country my province. How could I cheer anyone else.

13. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

I don't watch baseball, but I'm pretty excited about other stuff, Indian crickets going a great way, tennis matches are scheduled, upcoing football matches...and stuff.......though Indian hockey's on the down, and I CAN'T BELIEVE KANE BEAT KHALI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I guess we'll just have to see about Cabrera.

Toronto is playing my team tonight. The Blue Jays are pretty solid, they did finish third place in the American East after all, so I think the Yankees are in for a difficult game.

15. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I actually got to watch Detroit and Kansas City play a couple of innings while I was at the gym. Justin Verlander was in top form. As of right now, he's gone close to five innings, while only giving up a single hit and no runs. Cabrera had a bit of a rocky outting, but I'm confident that he will really come into form over this season and excel like he never has before.

16. soujiroseta

you were at the gym, watching the game and on WF giving live commentary at the same time:eek: go multitasking...

CRICKET IS COOL:D

17. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen a baseball match, though I've always enjoyed what I've seen throughout movies :p We don't get it on TV over here, need to have a certain PayTV sports channel as far as I know.

Go teams :p (No idea who actually plays - the Sox?)

18. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

The Sox could either be the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago White Sox.

This has really been an interesting season so far. Kansas City managed to sweep Detroit, Washington has come out guns a blazing and Colorado isn't playing nearly as well as it was at the end of last year. I think we'll see Detroit come into true form sometime close to the Allstar Break, and we'll continue to see Boston dominate the American East. The American West is still anyones guess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big money team in need of some power hitting sign Barry Bonds. Seattle could use him in the DH spot. Any weaker American League team could use him, he was good last year with nearly 30 homers and 80 RBI's if memory serves...

19. soujiroseta

thats about correct. quick question, your ideal shortstop?

20. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I don't know. Derek Jeter is a solid hitter, especially in clutch situations, but he's not really that great of a shortstop. Alex Rodriguez is an excellent fielder and hitter, so I guess as much as I don't like the guy, I'd pick him over anyone else.

21. soujiroseta

it's always been between those two for me but sometimes i always end up leaning towards Jeter, dont know why. i think it's because of his slugging prowess. other than that there's no replacement for Ichiro from the Seattle Mariners i think....

22. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Ichiro isn't a shortstop though, he's an outfielder. He is one of the best outfielders in the game, although he's starting to get old. I'd almost rather have Vladimir Guerrero as he's a much more powerful hitter and has close to 400 home runs. He's a few years younger than Ichiro, and their batting averages are near the same.

23. ILTBY

Aah it was the Red Sox I was thinking of, but wasn't sure if they were actually a baseball team.

24. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

They're the biggest team in the game. I think in the past, most people associated the Yankees with the game, but now the Red Sox are becoming the worldwide face of MLB. I was watching footage of a game in Japan, and half the people in the stands were wearing Red Sox gear.

25. ILTBY

Shush - uneducated Australian :p The Yankees are the only other team I know of, after that I really don't know a single thing about Baseball. It's a shame it's never been big in Australia.