1. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

I've been reading my old stories but I can see a bit of a difference

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by A.L.Mitchell, May 7, 2012.

Lately, I had been reading my old work and now, I can see some improvement. Some of the work I found laughable, I seemed to start seeing a style that works for me. Of course, I can still get better, you never stop learning. For all of you writers, just keep writing, practise makes perfect. I'm appreciated the help you all have given, when time I'd become stuck, you all given me a hand. Thank you. There is still a long way to go but now, I'm getting there. Its time to start developing the style.

2. KRHolbrook

KRHolbrook Member

It's great to see your work improving over the years (months, days :p). The more you read and the more you write will make you learn even more about the writing process. I look back on my older work and wonder what in the heck was I thinking? But the older work still have decent plot points that I can rework at a later time.

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

that is a great sign that your writing is improving. :)

4. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I think it's a feeling a lot of us go through and it's likely a good thing. Improvement is good! :)

5. John Eff

John Eff Member

Oh, yes. Reading old stuff can be cringeworthy, right enough. When looking over something I planned to incorporate into the latest tome I had to check the title page to make sure it was me who wrote the drivel. I sould see what I had been aiming at, but it was total rubbish in style.

6. aimeekath

aimeekath Senior Member

Yay improvement!

7. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

Improvement is such a great feeling. You have to see where you started and where you are now. Keep writing too! The style will never be 100% in stone because you are always willing to try something new.

8. bakalove

bakalove Member

In only the few days ive been with this forum I have gained so much knowledge my book has been completely transformed and the way i write is also ALOT different.

9. loomingtale

loomingtale Member

You go gir/boy(?) !

A lot of times these improvements are the only motivators you can rely on. I almost gave up writing, that was until I reread some of my old writings :p The joke was actually on me.

10. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Unfortunately for me I can't say the same thing, at least for a different prose. I've been writing video game reviews since I was 11/12 and the improvements have been incremental, even to this day. My mistake was not reading other peoples works and thinking I could improve by just writing more. Now I've learned from my mistake and do just as much reading as writing, and I've applied that to my stories as well.

11. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

I know the feeling; there were days when I had thought it wasn't, maybe a year ago but now I have seen the signs of improvement.

Thank you.
    Yeah, I find that improving is the best thing to do in writing.
    When I was reading my old stories, it was very cringeworthy and there were times when I was thinking, how did I come up with the plot.
    Thank you.
    I know that the style won't be 100% set in stone, but I'll always be willing to try different styles in my writing.
    Since I've joined this forum, I have learnt a lot in writing; it's great news that you are learning and improving.
    I'm a man. Yeah it was the same with me.
    But making mistakes are not great, but anyhow you are learnt your mistake. It's good you've applied it to your stories.