I've Got a job... Practically

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Domoviye, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Word I work 15 hours a week, 5 days a week. I have an internet connection at home, and promise of a computer to go with it.
    I not only have the time, but the means, I might even attempt to become a mod.

Eoz, I'll consider it. But they may not like my lack of a teaching degree.

Thanks everyone.

2. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Well I signed the contract about an hour ago.
    But I had the strangest feeling my contact was very disappointed in me. Just the way she talked and things, it seemed like she thought I should have a better BA, look different, be better prepared, and other things.
    It was kind of annoying.
    But I got the job.
    The contract I signed wasn't as good as the example contract I was sent. I work one more hour a day, don't get a kitchen, and no computer is included in the housing. But overall can't complain.
    So starting September 3rd I'll be teaching oral English to University students.
    Wish me luck.

Edit: I discovered something about 3 minutes ago makes me really like the company (head hunter) that got me the job. It was an e-mail saying if the university didn't work out, he could have a car pick me up and drive me to Shanghai tonight to start working at a high school tomorrow.
    If I stick around in China after this contract, I'm getting in touch with this guy again.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Sounds good Dom, are you looking forward to starting?

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

If by "looking forward to starting", you mean not quite gibbering in terror at the thought of being in way over my head, and now being unable to leave a strange city and country for almost a year.
    Then yes I am looking forward to getting started.

5. Banzai

Good Good :p

6. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

What an exciting life you are leading Domo! I am a housemom chauffering my kid around, we lead totally different lives.(no worries I like my life) Yours sounds like a lot of fun, I hope everything works out the way you envisioned it.
    congrats!

7. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Thanks Word.
    But believe me, exciting also means stress. I'm currently looking up different things I can use for lesson plans. Because I have no idea what they want me to do, other then teach oral English.
    I'm suppose to be talking over my job and schedule with the university at some point. They just haven't told me when.
    Of course if everything goes wrong, we can spend the class discussing how much better it would be if someone else was teaching them. That way they'd still be speaking English.
    Cheers

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

ooo hahah your having second thoughts on your english teaching capabilities are ya? Well I am sure you will do fine. Just know you are bound to make many mistakes and feel like an idiot 3/4 of the time, so when you expect that, you won't be dissapointed when you feel it! ;)
    Hope you get everything in order. when do you start?

9. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

This is just usual stage fright. I had it when I started working at McDonalds, and in a machine shop, and as a flagger on a road crew.
    Just need to get started and I'll be fine.

I start on the 3rd. I should be moving into my dorm apartment, today or tomorrow. And hopefully they'll explain where I have to go, when I have to be there, and what they want me to do before I start in the morning.

10. Banzai

If not, just make it up. After all, you are the teacher :p

11. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Very true. I have enough ideas to get me through the first day, one of which involve a poll of what they want to focus on. So that will help with further classes.
    Now I just have one major problem. They still haven't phoned to tell me I can move into the apartment, or what my schedule is.
    So I sent an e-mail asking them. Hopefully they tell me or tomorrow is going to be interesting.

12. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Yes well it certainly will be interesting if you have got no idea lol glad things are working out for you though Dom.

Goodluck with it hey.

13. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Thanks Torana

Well I don't start work tomorrow. I do get to move into the dorm finally though, and I have a meeting with the department at 2:30 in the afternoon.
    So free internet here I come.

14. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

YAY for free internet lol

15. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Ok this is the final update for this thread.
    I am working 6 hours a week this month. 4 classes on Wednesday, 2 classes on Friday. Next month this changes, and I should be working 16 hours a week. Although if they make me work less, I won't complain.
    My Wednesday classes are all Travel English. Apparently people use a different version of English when they travel. This should be fun, I can focus on cultural differences around the world.
    My Friday classes are Business English. Nothing too difficult, I'll just make them do a lot of presentations and debates.
    All the classes are between 30 and 35 students.
    According to a teacher who is starting his second year here, the biggest problem I'll have is getting the students to actually pay attention. Most of them are just in the class as a requisite and couldn't care less about learning anything, because they don't need it.

I'm finally moved into my apartment, which is actually two dorm rooms thrown together, with a seperate bathroom. No kitchen unfortunately. So as soon as I have money I'm buying a slow cooker and a hot plate.
    But it does have a decent fridge, and a working microwaves. So I'm not eating out all the time anymore.

I have free internet, access to a free washing machine, a computer (I didn't have one initially, but the teacher I met, had one in his new apartment that he didn't need), and I can lock my door so I finally have some actual bloody privacy.

I'm also about a 2 minute walk from a grocery store/department store. Decent prices, and the grocery store looks fairly clean. I've seen some grocery stores that were horror shows here, so I'm very pleased about the cleanliness.

Best of all, with the computer now I can start writing again.

Thats about it for me.
    Cheers.

16. Banzai

Sounds great Dom. I'm glad you have things sorted now. And we'll be expecting to see some evidence of this writing... :p