Tags:
  1. Violaceous

Violaceous New Member

Hello. :]

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Violaceous, May 18, 2009.

So, after waiting for my activation email to arrive for forever, I'm finally able to post!

Anyway, my name is Caitlyn, and I'm an eighteen-year-old freshman in college. I've been writing stories pretty much since I first learned how to in elementary school. My dream was always to be published, and although I've since abandoned my desire to be a famous novelist for a more realistic career path (though currently I've no idea what that path will be), I'd still love to have at least one of my stories published somewhere someday.

Regardless of whether this dream is ever realized, I will always write simply because I love it so much. But I would like to develop and improve my writing further, which is why I decided to give this forum a try. I haven't really used forums much before and I'm also not sure whether I'll be able to offer much helpful critique, but I'll certainly try my best! :]

2. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I don't suppose you play the viola, as you username implies, do you? *face falls* I did hope I would find another person who plays viola, but I guess not. :/ Anyways... moving on... :-D I'm Hedge, thirteen, and play viola. :] Overall, what influences your writing, what do you like to read, and what do you like in terms of music and hobbies? Nice to meet you, and excited to see your work.

3. Violaceous

Violaceous New Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but no, I'm afraid I do not play viola. I did play the violin for several years, though, and I'd love to take it up again someday if I can ever afford lessons.

Nice to meet you. :] I'd say currently what influences my writing the most are my own experiences. I also write a lot about my emotions or fears I have, since writing is a way for me to vent and clear my head.

I love to read, but between classes and homework and such I don't have much time to anymore. I plan to start reading more over the summer, though. For now I'm open to pretty much anything. I've mostly been reading random books my mother or stepmom give me (since I'm too broke to afford my own).

As far as music goes, I like a lot of random stuff. Right now I'm obsessing over Meg & Dia's new album. I've also started listening to country music lately, lame as that may sound. Annnd....I dunno...my interests in music and reading and such have been much more open lately, so I like a wide range of things now.

4. Sam[antha]

Sam[antha] New Member

Lost in my mind, 99.287364832% of the time
    Welcome!
    I'm pretty new here too, so we can learn that whole think thought out critique thing together!
    Oh, and I'm Sam if you didn't notice... lol
    *Sam

5. Violaceous

Violaceous New Member

Nice to meet you, Sam. :]
    I'm just curious, since it looks like you've got more posts than I do, what do you think of the site so far?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Caitlyn, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you put in your best efforts in critiquing, you will get better at it.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome :)

8. Violaceous

Violaceous New Member

Hello, and thank you! :]

9. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

Hello and nice to meet you.

I'm trying to work out the pronounciation of your username - is it vi-O-lay-shuhs or VEE-O-lay-shuhs or even vi-ah-lay-shuhs? I think I'm okay with the last couple of syllables but correct me if I'm wrong.

Never forget the immortal words of... that guy... you know... the one with the hair... he said... something about... success and butterflies... or tornadoes and inspiration. Memorable words. :)

10. Sam[antha]

Sam[antha] New Member

Lost in my mind, 99.287364832% of the time
    Honestly, I really like this site. There's so much to learn from here it's overwhelming! haha.