1. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Novel New Chapter And I have brain blank

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by chandler245, Apr 4, 2009.

I am writing a book... Blah....Blah... as you already know. I had no trouble in the past when it came to come up with titles other than what to call the book but know I am on a new chapter and I can't think of what oto call it HELP!:eek:

2. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

Well, if you want to actually name your chapters I typically sum up what happens into a simple phrase. i.e., if someone gets betrayed name it betrayal or a similar word.

Keep in mind that you don't actually have to name your chapters if you don't want to. They can simply be numbered. Or they can be the name of the character that each chapter is about and throw out the whole numbering system. Like, for instance, what George R. R. Martin does in his Song of Ice and Fire series.

Edit: Actually, my example was horrible. If you're wanting the act of a betrayal to be a surprise, then you probably wouldn't want to call the chapter that. Maybe just something with an ominous tone to it.

3. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Thanks, I will ponder that.

4. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I never give titles to chapters, but if you really want to, maybe you could just use "Chapter 2" etc. for now, and then once you're done writing a chapter, you can give it a title that works well with it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're writing for the children's or YA market and have to have chapter titles, then just wait till you have the chapter written, before you agonize over what to call it... how could you know what's going to be best before then, anyway?... if it's for the adult market, why use titles at all?

6. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

I can't believe how many of you are writing books. But i agree with what was said. the title can come at the end after all the facts are in

7. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

Thing with me is if i don't give it a name i feel like i can't move forward with out the titile. how do you over come that?

8. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Then give it a word or a few words that goes with what you're planning to do with that chapter. Like one word that kind of sums up what you hope that chapter to be about. Then as you write and keep seeing that chapter title, maybe it'll give you that reminder about what you want to achieve in that chapter.

9. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

listen to maia, shes pretty spot on. Start the chapter before you decide to name it. Thing is names with come in time, focus on the story.

10. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I agree. The ratio of books to stories on this site (and others I visit) regularly blows my mind.

11. othman

othman New Member

Only childrens' books need chapters, YA doesn't need chapters names either. Naming chapters is very much a childrens' thing for whatever reason, but YA and adult don't need names at all, however if you like to do it then, as everyone else has said, write it first before naming it.

12. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

Sit down and write whatever. Just write. Don't stop to think about it (if possible). Don't pay attention to the mental editor looking over your shoulder.

If you're like me, you'll want to crumple up whatever you wrote and start again. Keep it, but repeat the profess (you might have a future insight or be able to use some of the first draft).

Believe it or not you'll make gradually process. Each time you repeat you will try something different, or use another perspective or invent a new character.

I had writer's block when I started the contest entry. It was bad. I could only get a few sentences down each day, never mind the fact I could only write late at night. Two days ago, I wrote in 300 words. Last night, I got in 600. And I completed one scene. Today I'll be onto scene 2. I want to get even more words down on paper tonight; let's see if I can get 1000.

This may not work for you, but it is a process mentioned in how-to books. For me, it works.

And if you're stuck, do research (wikipedia, tvtropes). Or ask questions to people you know, online buddies.

I hope this helps.

Also, post your work.

13. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I read a good book in which one of the main characters (it was written from 4 different points of view) was an Elvis Impersonator, and each chapters name was the title of an Elvis song, one which was relevant to what happened in the chapter itself. I thought that was a pretty interesting way of naming chapters, although I will admit I only actually noticed them on my second reading of the book =P
    x

14. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

I don't think chapter titles are important at all but if you feel you have to have one- go by what you already know is going to happen in the chapter and use that. If, when you finish writing the chapter, you decide that title isn't adequate, go back and change it.

Personally, I think chapter titles can weaken strong novels (but that's my opinion).

~Lynn