Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Speedy, Mar 11, 2011.

This is only breaking news, but may the nearby regions hang in.

I'm currently watching a giant Tsunami move in towards Japan (3rd one)

For those who are safe, prey for those that lost their lives today and the long rebuild in the future.

:(

Would say more, which could make more sense but I've seen this from the start and it almost tops September 11 for shock value.

I'm just feel awful right now.

2. FantasyorDeath

FantasyorDeath New Member

I live in Japan, and have been watching the news for about forty minutes. It's honestly shocking. I have a sister in Tokyo and I'm just worried sick about her.
    I'm so thankful that Japan is prepared for earthquakes and disasters like this - it could be a lot worse. I'm so thankful that Japan has learned from the Hanshin Earthquake. Hopefully more lives will be saved because of this.
    Please pray for Japan!

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Jesus Christ, this sounds awful...

The Today Programme on Radio 4 just spoke to someone in Japan. Sounds like utter hell...

4. Speedy

Yes, thank God Japan were prepared. Tokyo is fine, but the small coastal villages that got hit by the wave.....no chance in hell. it just rolled over them.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

FoD, I hope your sister is ok. Joel and I just got home and saw the news about this...terrible.

6. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I'm watching the coverage of this too. This is awful.

FoD, I hope your sister is ok.

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I've just read about this. It's awful (understatement). :/

FantasyorDeath: I hope you hear from your sister soon, and that she's okay.

Poor Japan. :/

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    My god, is the world coming to an end?

So many disasters. This is terrible. They'll be in my thoughts today.

9. Speedy

The plates around this region are just very, very active. Earthquakes, volcanoes etc.

It's just back when we had the indonesia tsunami, we all thought that was a once in a lifetime event. I guess it's more like once in a decade occurance.

Hope the small islands in the pacific that are just above sea level cope okay.

10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm praying for everyone who lives in the areas that lie in the tsunami's path.

I wish I could be there to endure it with you all. :( Makes my moaning about hurricanes useless and pendantic. At least I can get into a car and drive away from the coastline.

11. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

My thoughts are with Japan, especially the northern regions seem to be the hardest hit. It is nighttime now and I believe very low temperatures so it is going to be a horrendous time for survivors, and limited news and aide until day breaks.

12. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I have a dear friend in Hawaii. I've heard that the tsunami there reached 13 feet. I last heard from her around 5PM yesterday before it hit and can't get a hold of her. Does anyone know how the Big Island and Mantua are doing? All I know is that evacuation was ordered and everything is shut down. I'm so worried.

It's awfully scary how cruel Mother Nature can be when she so desires. I'm terribly sorry for everyone in Japan, Hawaii, and South America too (Chile has been affected as well). I heard the body count in Japan was well over 300 in port cities. I can imagine how eerie and sad it must be to see such a sight.

13. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

This magnitude of event creates a sense of shock and awe in all of us, and gives us a reality check with regard to how small and insignificant we are when compared to the natural forces of our planet.

We are all tiny, insignificant travellers on this giant, living ball as it hurtles through space, and we have no choice but to take what it throws at us from time to time, and to survive as best we can.

However, in our millions, we are lazily and complacently contributing to the potential problems with our poisoning of the atmosphere and unbalancing of the eco-systems. It may be that mankind played no part in this particular tragedy, but it would do no harm to view this, along with the floods in Australia several weeks ago, as a wake-up call. :)

14. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I think she'll be fine. I have confidence.

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Anyone here from Hawaii? Fantasy, hope all is well. I'll never forget the earthquake in 1999 in Turkey. It's a terrifying experience.

16. hiddennovelist

I hope you hear from your friend soon. :( One of our cashiers at work just left to go visit her family in Hawaii...

17. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I had some Japanese friends back in the college days, we stayed in touch via email for a while. I should scour for their old emails and see how they find themselves.

Anyone in contact with some residents/family there?

18. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I have a sister in Okinawa. It sounds like they weren't hit hardly at all. She sent me an email before she went to bed (which is morning for us) saying as such.

I also have a friend in Tokyo who is fine as well. Seems the internets are still working over there so that's good.

19. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

So heartbreaking :(
    My heart goes out to Japan :love:

20. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

This makes everything else seem petty. Hope they have a speedy recovery over there.

21. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I hope I hear from her too. Google launched its People Finder, what a great tool, but unfortunately it's only for Japan. =/ But if you have loved ones in Japan, check it out.

I'm sure she'll be fine... After all, she was in Mantua at the university, and I'm sure they take care of the students, but it just worries me anyway, and I'm concerned for her very ill mother, who lives right on the beach.

How in the world is your coworker getting to Hawaii? I cant imagine any flights are going in... I figured there'd only be outgoing flights, if any.

22. hiddennovelist

Hopefully you hear from her soon. :/

I'm trying to remember if she was actually flying out today or if she left earlier this week...if she's flying out today, I'm sure her flight will be grounded, so I've got my fingers crossed that this is the case.

23. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I'm keeping Japan in my thoughts and prayers. This is horrifying, and I hope that the people of Japan will be okay. :(
    We have a foreign exchange student in my class from Japan; her name is Yuuka. I hope her family's all right. :(
    I heard a prediction of over 1000 dead. If that's true, it's even more horrifying than it already is.

24. FantasyorDeath

FantasyorDeath New Member

Thanks all you guys who commented about my sister!
    We heard from her a few hours ago (the phones don't work, but the internet is up) and she seems totally fine. Thanks for all your prayers!
    Keep praying, though - a lot worse may come.

25. Speedy

The island that were in more danger from the path had been evacuating for hours before hand. I'm sure it'll take some time to get back (considering how many people were moved).

Heard a few people in the US died (4 people) because they were curious ad in the water. Stupid people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.