1. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

jazzabel's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by jazzabel, Oct 6, 2014.

Monkey see, monkey do, so I too wanted to try this. I guess it’s a good idea to be upfront about the fact this post is on par, interestingness-wise, with listening to a detailed account of someone else’s dream, at the end of which lies an expectation of help with interpreting it.

Be as it may, I sometimes encounter an obstacle in my writing that seems insignificant enough to repeat in front of company, but at the same time it’s too infuriating too ignore. Like people, at times. In that sense my story has a life of its own.

Right now, I’m feel somewhat abused by a Chapter 3 of a subplot that involves a female vampire, set in circa 1490s England. It’s a story of rape, loss and birth. And murder. It wrung out my nerves to write everything up to the murder, and now I’m a bit stuck. Writing Ch 2 felt like an arthritic person trying to get going in the morning, but I got there in the end and the result includes some decent writing.

I want her to murder Father Dowd, but I have no clear idea of how she could do it. He just gave her until sundown to gather her stuff and turn up by the lake, with what he believes is his child. I keep running into tropes, she is more ‘primeval’ :blech: , he isn’t that strong (he’s been through a rough patch but :sleepy:), there are all kinds of undercurrents and hostilities, I just haven’t found anything quite suitable yet.

Should she kill him at all, even?

Been listening to this a lot too

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Whenever I'm writing and I come to a spot where a big change is required I always go through a line up of what I call 'predictable' happenings - the first things that come to my mind - and the odd happenings - these are the ones that come after the predictable thoughts - usually from brainstorming on a sheet of paper or daydreaming.
    I usually go with a compromise between the two. It's kinda like in Lolita. As a reader you know Charlotte Haze has got to go so you're waiting for H.H. to kill her ( that's the predictable happening ) but you're surprised when Nabokov has her run over by someone else - that's the absurd odd happening - but the compromise is, it is kinda Hum's fault and the outcome is the same - she's dead.

jazzabel likes this.
  3. jazzabel

Really good example @peachalulu, thank you :) I've been toying with one possibility, but it would affect on the rest of the plot. It would turn it in a new direction, which isn't a bad thing, as I'm writing without a plan. Hm.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. jazzabel

Have been stalling on the murder of the vampire priest. I don't want something too complicated or too simple. One idea keeps coming back to me, a misdirection, where Lucy's servant dresses up as her and pretends to be bringing the baby to him, and Lucy surprise attacks and kills him.

Since he is technically her Maker, wouldn't he be able to 'sense' it's not her? She could give some of her blood to Martha, but then Martha would need a bigger part. I kept playing with the idea of a helper and somehow always imagined him like Albert from Batman or Willy from Modesty Blaise, but what if Albert/ Willy was really a Martha, a German housekeeper?

5. jazzabel

I've been thinking about content of my novel. When I decided to become a writer, I explored what audience wanted. I loved mysteries and thrillers and one thing that features strongly in them is violence and especially murder. I'm not infatuated or fascinated by death, it's a theme I explore peripherally, when I feel it's relevant, but nothing more. So after I realised this, I felt like the entire genre of crime fiction was suddenly unavailable to me. Even worse, being conditioned by murder in fiction, I had trouble even thinking of suspense 'worthy enough' for my book.

I think I even read in in one of these how-tos that reader doesn't care unless the stakes are high enough aka unless there's murder. I can't help but think this is a load-of-crap kind of advice.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Maybe your suspense is unconventional. I like to read horrors and one of my favorites bucked the traditional idea of horror - instead of focusing on murder or gore - it was literary in feel and the suspense was drawn out by the excitement that changed to anxiety as a creature pulled from the sea began to transform. I would focus more on how you want to use suspense - in your story. It could be wrapped up in more deeper more psychological issues than simply murder.

jazzabel likes this.
  7. jazzabel

That's a good point @peachalulu . There is a lot of mystery in the story, mainly surrounding identity, history and love. Also, another theme of birth and re-birth, a circle. I don't actually need anyone to die in order to tell it, although I'm not opposed to losing a character if need be. But I have a symbolic 'death' of a few things and people, drastic changes, death of an idea or a corporation, there is a lot of turmoil, but without the body count. I caught myself skimming through the violence in both literature and tv/film lately. I hope there are other readers who feel likewise.