Jealousy of other writers

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Hubardo, May 9, 2014.

1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

You're not the only one with such problem. :p
    I am not confident in my writing sometimes, I have a feeling my vocabulary is extremely small, even though many people are suprised about some words I use.

Mckk likes this.
  2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Jealousy is a natural emotion, especially when it's someone you know who is doing better than you in your chosen field. The trick is to not let it bother you - harder said than done.

What bothers me more, is nasty writers, the ones with success who then go on to fiercely guard their work like they've found the secret to eternal youth. They turn into a Gollum-like creature.

A guy contacted me through FB a while go, basically asking for any advice I could give as he was on his first draft of his first fantasy fiction novel. I don't know much but I replied thanking him for his interest and telling him a little about how I'd written and sp'd, the basic process I'd gone through.

He came back, thanking me and telling me that not many had replied favourably, just me and maybe one or two others (one who was already a friend of his and a contact of mine).

We have since then, had a number of really good conversations regarding writing in general. I have helped him where intimate scenes were concerned and he's helped me where fight scenes were concerned.

I'm not saying that all writers should be best friends who spend their time helping and ass-kissing other writers but some writers out there are just plain nasty.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The "Snowman House of Horror"..."Define well-adjusted"...and the giant snowman peering over the hill were the best.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i know my best work is probably not equal to that of nobel laureates, but i don't let that bother me, as i also know it's better than what most who write turn out, as good as what many do, and the best i can produce...

so, why agonize over it, or even suffer a momentary pang of envy, when pride feels so much better?

cutecat22, peachalulu and sunsplash like this.
  5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

[​IMG] Far Side is terrific! But my fave was always Herman.

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Abbott: Give 'im the old one-three. Remember, one-three.
    Costello: Wait, what about two?
    Abbott: Two, you get.

peachalulu likes this.
  7. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Jane Eyre was astonishingly well written. I am humbled.

jazzabel and Poziga like this.
  8. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

I believe the OP is asking about envy, and not about jealousy per se. But since the word was used, my jealousy problem will most likely seethe up once I start pushing my out there and getting rejection letters. Meanwhile I'll be encountering books I think are crap and thinking, "They got published and I'm not???"

jazzabel, FrankieWuh and cutecat22 like this.
  9. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

"Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant." How? Just how? :-(

10. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Whenever I get jealous of another writer's amazingness I just count to ten and remind myself of Stephanie Meyer. At least we're ALL better than her.

11. Catrin Lewis

Yes. But are we more published? :rolleyes:

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I feel jealous at times, especially when I see a book on the shelf that I could very easily have seen myself writing had I come up with it. Then the jealously increases, knowing that even if I did, it already existed, so I was beaten to it.

13. AlannaHart

AlannaHart Senior Member

Where there's 12 year olds' diaries being published in the guise of literature, there's hope for all.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  14. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Senior Member

Jeff Lindsay. The guy who wrote the "Dexter" series. I writhe with envy wishing I had thought of that story line. Pure genius!

15. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I never saw the purpose of jealousy or even envy. What I can do I will. What I can't has nothing to do with anyone else.

The Chinese have a saying, "For every mountain, there is always another that is higher." Someone is always going to achieve more than you. Being jealous is a waste of time and emotional effort.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    cutecat22 likes this.
  16. mammamaia

it's sad to see so many who want to be professional writers apparently not aware of the significant difference between 'jealousy' and 'envy'! :rolleyes:

cutecat22 and Catrin Lewis like this.
  17. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

OED definitions:

Envy

A feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else’s possessions, qualities, or luck.
    The feeling of mortification and ill-will occasioned by the contemplation of superior advantages possessed by another.

Jealousy

Feeling or showing an envious resentment of someone or their achievements, possessions, or perceived advantages.
    In respect of success or advantage: Fear of losing some good through the rivalry of another; resentment or ill-will towards another on account of advantage or superiority, possible or actual, on his part; envy, grudge.

18. Catrin Lewis

I'm surprised the OED would be so fuzzy on "jealousy." But maybe with misuse the use is shifting.

To my knowledge and (reading) experience it has to do with perceiving a threat to or an infringement upon one's own rights, possessions, etc. So you're envious over what belongs to another; you're jealous over what is yours. The definition above hints at it with "Fear of losing some good through the rivalry of another."

19. mammamaia

ditto that, catrin!

the definition has certainly changed over the years, hasn't it?... guess that's just proof of how old i am! :unsure:

20. Cerebral

Cerebral Active Member

I wouldn't say I get envious...but I certainly get discouraged! There are times when I, after having read a particularly good piece, think that there's just NO WAY I can do anything close to that, no way in freakin' hell. And that makes me depressed. :(

21. Fronzizzle

Fronzizzle Member

Actually, for me it's sort of the opposite. When I read something good, I feel inspired to continue working towards my goals.

And...well, lately it seems that many of the books I choose to read end up being poorly written, poorly designed or have some sort of fatal flaw. I figure if these can get published and get good reviews, why can't I?

Catrin Lewis and cutecat22 like this.
  22. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

I've been getting that lately. Instead of thinking "I could never write this well" I feel more a sense of admiration for the author and wonder "how did they manage to pull this off?" then think "maybe I could borrow some of these elements of style" or something.

cutecat22 likes this.
  23. john11

john11 Member

I really don't like writers, mainly because my writing is rubbish and this had given me an inferiority complex

24. john11

john11 Member

See! i was supposed to type the word "has" and instead typed "had" by mistake.

JetBlackGT likes this.
  25. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

I agree...and now I feel like reading it again.

Poziga likes this.