Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miller0700

Miller0700 Contributing Member

Jesse Williams BET Speech, intital reactions and thoughts?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Miller0700, Jun 28, 2016.

Link to video and quote below can be found here:

http://atlantablackstar.com/2016/06/27/white-backlash-swift-after-jesse-williams-delivers-powerful-speech-on-black-oppression-freedom-at-2016-bet-awards/?utm_content=buffer147e3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

2. Raven484

Raven484 Contributing Member

I am a white man living in Philadelphia who sees racism every day. I do not see Jesse Williams as being racist. If anything, he is using his celebrity status to take on a leadership role in the black community. His family should be proud of him. Hopefully he can be a major factor in changing the ideals of this country.
    In my opinion, he has to start with education. Education is the only thing that will solve all of this. Black youths need something to believe in. They need to learn there are important to the world and to the future. Not just black, all minorities. But it must be from the beginning. From 1st grade on to college. Future leader's need to molded in there communities to continue the fight for equality.
    People are putting him down because he is speaking up, in my opinion he is a hero and is one of the justifications for myself for joining the Armed Forces when I was younger. Jesse and people like him are the reason I would fight for freedom, why I would die for this country. You don't see this much anymore, and it has made me doubt why I chose to fight.

This world would be better if you WERE FORCED TO DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLE's REALITIES.

I don't really know how to comment on this statement. Would I feel different if I experienced this, sure. It's an angry statement, I understand the anger in it, all I can say is I hope great changes will come so people who feel this way can find some comfort. I am not going to apologize for being white. All I can do is treat people the way I want to be treated. All I can do is ignore white racist groups and distance myself from them. Also do my part in voting in real candidates for change that will also better educate these racist groups. Jesse Williams made a speech to help his cause, the comment above helped the individual air out his feelings but doesn't help Jesse, and I am sure Jesse would tell them that.

Will there be equality in the US during my lifetime? I don't know, it doesn't look good. But more people like Jesse will make the future better.

Link the Writer and Miller0700 like this.
  3. Miller0700

Thanks for that.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Sadly I don't know how this would result in anything we hadn't seen before: a bunch of people getting into fights across the internet about who's the racist/one being oppressed, letting their emotions get the better of them.

5. Miller0700

True.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.