Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

Jesus was a democrat

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Bethany35, Aug 16, 2015.

Am always amazed that some people with a lot of greed and money still define themselves as incredibly christian and full of doing good deeds. Even if those deeds are fanning the flames of hatred- another thing Jesus would not have got on with. I am not here to judge but perhaps point others on the right track, please don't crucify me for it.
    This is what I know about Jesus.

1) He told us to love and forgive each other - it's hard to remember that isn't it? But we still have to try.
    2) He looked after the gay, poor, oppressed and outcasts - what sort of follow does it give when right wing republicans scream about how abortions and gays are immoral?
    3) He told people to give up money and lifelihood and just follow him - they couldn't, but he was still what he wanted. Would he have improved of high bills for healthcare and education? Absolutely not
    4) Jesus died to forgive our sins. That means anyone who chooses to believe can get in, we won't all have the same idea of it but I don't think the general feeling is too hard to reach.
    5) Jesus gave us the beautitudes - that those who are weak, oppressed or humble will go further than those who are greedy and yell from the pulpit how bad others are.
    6) Jesus was a democrat - he agreed in rights and a voice for all not just the priveliged majority who were sunning themselves in mansions, and not for those struggling to find food each day either. ALL! Regardless of who we are Jesus loves us.
    7) Jesus and God told us not to judge others

Can you right wing Christians honestly tell me this is your God too?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

How very un-Christian of you to spew this nonsense in the Lounge rather than in the Debate Room, where it belongs, thus forcing a moderator to take the time to move it, and on the Sabbath, no less.

3. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

my apologies, I haven't seen the debate roiom yet, but the Sabbath is the day to remind other Christians that perhaps they aren't getting it right.

4. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

So maybe a future Republicans crucified him? was the low budget horror movie right is saying that Abraham Lincoln was really a Vampire? To be there all that time ago and still run as the first US Republican president ..... I really shouldn't post much before my coffee but this one just jumped out at me.

5. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

Romans and republicans, no sorry, I can't give the far right credit for crucifying him.

6. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

I think I will stick to following Buddha, there's where true compassion lies.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Jesus wasn't a Republican or Democrat, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to claim either one given the differences in time and place. People just make these kind if assertions when they're trying to stick a finger in the eye of the other side. It's nonsense, and also reductive to the point of having no value. The same holds true whether you are a Democrat or Republican claiming Jess was for your party.

Bollocks.

8. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

I don't think he'd be for any political party, am saying he was a democratic person - he'd have probably hated all politics, his only political movement was saying "render under caesar what belongs to caesar". my problems is Christians who attack the gays or people who have abortions, that's a far right viewpoint and one which is causing a lot of harm.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

Bethany, you're new here.. So I just wanted you to know, don't get offended when this thread goes horribly wrong. Which it will. Probably very soon. It's just how religious conversations go around here.

Bethany35 likes this.
  10. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

True, though I see it as a political conversation rather than a religious one, which is why I suggested it belonged in the Debate Room. Dragging one's personal Savior into the sewer of partisan politics strikes me as offensive on its face.

Lea`Brooks likes this.
  11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Jesus had no political opinions on the matter. Remember, he grew up as a carpenter in Roman-occupied Judea, not much he could've done politically that wouldn't make his parents very disappointed parents indeed. He was a prophet (as non-Christains refer to him) who preached mercy, kindness, and compassion. The only few times he came close to politics was when discussing Ceasar and lambasting people who preached loudly in the town square.

Bethany35 likes this.
  12. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

that's cool, I have some wood if anyone wants to crucify me now for being honest about a serous problem :D I knew I would get it, a little oppression and persecution won't hurt me if it causes other eyes to open.

And to me the only time Christianity or any religon should get political is to protect others from persecution and oppression.

13. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributing Member Contributor

People perceive in Jesus whatever qualities they want to see. These are usually their own qualities. If you have left wing political views, Jesus appears to be a champion of the poor and downtrodden. If you're of a more right wing persuasion, Jesus appears to be someone who upholds righteousness in a world of degenerate influences. Jesus is so ambiguous as to be pretty much meaningless. Even the authors of the gospels had very different perceptions of who Jesus was. People accept the things they agree with, and overlook those they dislike. You might as well abandon the whole thing and go your own way. Even if you say you follow Jesus, in reality you're actually going your own way, with a few Biblical quotes to illustrate your opinions.

Trying to make sense of a whole load of dysfunctional theology may cause you to make a mistake and go off on the wrong path, because you don't know what you're doing. Having 'faith' is to trust in that which you don't understand. If there was ever a recipe for disaster, this is it. You only need watch the news to realize the world is being torn apart by countless disasters caused by people of 'faith'.

Be yourself. Don't try to be better than your are, hoping to become god-like. Many follow this path, only to lose the humanity they already have. You already have empathy for others. You can already tell what’s fair and unfair. You are already a wonderful person.

14. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

I don't think upholding righteousness is that distant from being a champion to the needy.

15. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributing Member

tsk tsk anthropomorphising a deity.

tsk tsk.

16. Steerpike

It's not a matter of opening eyes, just a matter of looking at the issue sensibly, and trying to put a 2000 year old figure of whom little documentation exists into a modern U.S. political party of ant kind is a bit silly. It just doesn't line up.

Nor are people within the political parties monolithic, a fact that you have to ignore to try to make the point you're making in the original post. I know Republican and Democratic Christians, and some on both sides are good Christians and follow everything you listed above, and others on both sides don't seem to be very good Christians.

It's a topic that will stimulate internet banter, but ultimately the original post is an unrealistic and overly-simplified attempt to twist a vague, 2000 year old personality into modern, two-party U.S. politics. I don't think it's hard to see that it is pretty absurd, at least to the extent you want anyone to draw any serious conclusions from the exercise.

17. Steerpike

It occurs to me, also, that Jesus didn't seem too fond of corrupt, entrenched power, which rules out both parties.

18. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

we're not talking parties, but ethicals concepts- which democracy is

19. Stacy C

Stacy C Banned

So your point all along was that Jesus was small-d democratic? If so, I would have left the last sentence off your original post.

20. Steerpike

OK. I just noticed you're from the UK. I think a lot of people are reading this in terms of U.S. political parties.

I think if you're just talking in terms of 'democracy,' that encompasses most on both sides of the political spectrum (or, in the U.S., a representative Republic). But I don't know that he'd have liked a pure democracy much. Majority rule can do some bad things (like when the majority decide it is OK to deny a minority group its rights).

21. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

the unfortunate truth of that matter is that there are some groups in America that use Christianity to oppress others , and that is wrong.

22. Steerpike

Some do. Non-Christian groups, or even non-religious groups can do it as well. It's not limited to religious groups, or to Republicans, or to Democrats. It's sadly a part of the tribal nature of humanity.

23. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

am bringing the Christians who do it a little mirror I guess- , your God is not amused.

24. Steerpike

What's the quote attributed to Gandhi? He liked Christ, but he didn't like many Christians because they were so unlike Christ?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  25. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

“I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.”

Simpson17866 and Steerpike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.