1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Job interview help.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Jul 20, 2011.

Hello. I will be having my second interview this week and I really feel unprepared. One of the biggest questions they'll be asking is, "What is diversity"? I honestly don't even know how to respond. All I've got so far is , "Diversity is being able to coexist with one another in a workplace regardless of each others backgrounds." They'll also be asking "What does our store brand mean to you"? This store is called American Eagle by the way. Anyway, somebody please help me come up with good answers. I really need this job because my mom recently got laid off and I need to help pay the bills. Please provide me two really good answers for both questions. Thank you.;

2. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Anchorman!!

"I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship..."

:D

3. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Lol. That wouldnt work in this case xD

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

Diversity: They're asking for your attitudes to diversity as much as anything . You're not likely to be interviewed by a sociologist, but by some man/woman who sells jeans for a living. Therefore, something like: You know, not everybody has clammy pale skin and grew up watching Sesame Street while eating hamburgers..and thank God for that. There are other people who think and do things differently than me..and for that Hallelujah!

What do they hope the brand means to you? I just took a look at their website. The following might apply. Youthful. Vibrant. Carefree but substantial. Timelessly fashionable but robust.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Art gave a very good answer. Don't get overly lengthy, stuffy or philsophical about any of these things. Just be straightforward, but also tell them what they want to hear, especially on the second question.

Whenever I"m writing a cover letter or going into an interview, I research the company's mission statement on their site - this way, I can slip aspects of their mission statement into multiple answers to a wide variety of their questions. But don't overdo it or seem like you're reciting from a textbook!

As for the diversity question, say something like "I think diversity is important in a workplace because our society has a rich mix of different ethnicities and cultures, so business should reflect that. And I like working with a variety of people."

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's not true... 'diversity' itself is just the blending of differences, has nothing to do with anyone's ability to deal with it...

mallory's suggest response is more appropriate and relevant... i strongly suggest going with something similar, if not using it verbatim...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Also diversity is more than just coexistence. Diversity is about taking positive advantahe of the differences. From workplace diversity you get more viewpoints from varied cultures and backgrounds, resulting in fresher thinking.

Having everyone in agreement makes for a smoother ride, but it does not bring about change.