1. ravenflutterby

ravenflutterby New Member

Joint Project

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by ravenflutterby, Jul 27, 2009.

A friend and I have decided to write a series of short stories together based on a 1980s CID department in the Met. We have really similiar writing styles, have been roleplaying together for years and beta'd each others work and so we know how the other writes and works.

We've only just started and it's the first time I've attempted to write a joint story with someone, any advice or experiences on the subject would be very much appreciated.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My suggestrion - each of you write your own stories. You can benefit by swapping ideas, but collaborations can turn friends into bitter enemies.

Besides, at this point in your writing, each of you should be concentrating on developing your own unique writing style. Trying to blend your styles will not help either one of you grow.

Instead, a friendly competition is probably better, with each of you trying to produce the best entrry in the "series". It will force both of you to put forth your best efforts, and neither one will hold back the other.

3. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I agree with Cogito.
    I would worry that you would at some point have a disagreement on where the story was going, and it could hurt your friendship. My friend and I used to write together when we were younger, but we never agreed on where the stories should ultimately go, and there fore wouldnt accomplish much. I am sure it could work, but I personally wouldnt get into it. Best of luck with your writing, whichever way you go.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the first thing you should do, before writing a single word together, is to have a proper 'collaboration contract' in place...

without one, you run the very real risk of having to battle over rights and credits later on, or worse!... i've been privy to several horror stories over co-writing without a contract... one of my mentees actually lost all rights to a work she had originated and had no legal recourse when the ex-writing partner sold it under his name alone, since she hadn't taken my advice, swearing she 'trusted' him and their friendship!

go here for a sample contract... http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/writers_resources/contracts/collaboration.pdf

it's for screenwriters, basically, but fits for any type of collaborative effort, with just a bit of adapting... and make sure you both sign it before a notary, to make it legal...

5. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg New Member

I've never found working with others to work out at all. I've got a friend who always wants to collaborate, but we can never agree on anything and it never goes anywhere. I hate having to rely on someone else. Of course, you might have a completely different experience.

And I must say that Ashes to Ashes has placed in my heart a certain fondness for 1980s CIDs. ;)