1. Stammis

Stammis Contributing Member

Journal text, different fonts

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Stammis, Jun 26, 2016.

I am writing a story about a boy finding a journal and then reading it. Because of this, I want to have a different font when the boy reads the journal. The journal is about 3000 to 4000 words long and will be a short story, as well as the prologue chapter to my fantasy novel. So my questions are: Is having two fonts acceptable? I am considering using 'apple chancery' font. And would you read 30 to 40 journal entries, each about 150-200 words long?

Part of the issue is that I am planning on adding the reaction of what the boy is reading and/or I break the reading when the boy is interrupted by something.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. izzybot

izzybot Human Disaster Contributor

Afaik most publishers will want to read your ms in all one font. It's just typically easier for them. Any clever font shenanigans would be worked out with them after the fact. So if your goal is publishing, it's not really something you need to worry about at this point - you could just use italics (or underlines depending on publisher preference) to differentiate.

As for reading them, ~200w isn't too much, but I might concerned about them breaking up the flow in an awkward way, or if they're very spaced out the reader might forget important details from older entries? It depends on how relevant they are and where they're placed.

Stammis likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

If the entries are interesting, I'd read them. If they weren't interesting, I wouldn't read them. Not too useful, but... that's the truth.

I agree with @izzybot about the fonts. If you want a publisher, they'll figure out formatting or whatever for the final copy. For your MS I'd suggest you just mark off the passages with an indent or hashtags or something. And if you're planning to self-publish you're likely going to be dealing mostly with e-books, and e-readers tend to do wacky things with different fonts, so again it would probably make sense to have a different method of setting off the words.

Stammis likes this.
  4. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Contributing Member

As a reader, I'd prefer you use indented paragraphs for the journal entries, rather than changing font. A change of font can be hard for me to adjust to, and it's certainly noticeable and can pull me out of a book.

Pete picked up the journal and read more.
    Blah blah blah journal entry​
    "Wow!" said Pete.

Something like that is what I see authors use for letters and such, and I think it works very well. Would I read the journal entries? Yes, if they were interesting and didn't break up the current tension/action in the story (or if they were integral with it, such as he's freezing and searches the journal on how to start a fire).