Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boger

Boger Contributing Member

Journalism

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Boger, Mar 3, 2015.

While this website does what it does; providing feedback you never knew you needed, I like to think this website for the greater part is recreational in use.

There's no journalism section. The press make a profession of writing that's essentially exploiting the language for all kinds of directional purposes. If words could, there would be a union to organize strikes for better conditions.

Is there any thought behind that there is no journalism section? Is it a too streamlined business to mingle with?

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think that the authors who are trying to get a book published consider what they do here "recreational".

Besides, journalism is not just writing but the actual act of gathering news, analysing it, and making useful conclusions.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

I think that's putting journalism on a bit of a pedestal.

Yes, it CAN serve that function - I'm thinking All the President's men here - but it can also serve as a device for propaganda - look at the Sun's support for Margaret Thatcher prior to her election - "Give the girl a chance".

If you read the Daily Mail nowadays, you can see an inaccurate report of the same Googled stories as every other paper. A classic case recently was the reporting of a scientific paper on exercise which, headlined that "Too much exercise is as bad as none", to which the NHS felt compelled to write a refutation.

Mike Hill and BayView like this.
  4. Boger

I wouldn't know.

5. RachHP

RachHP Contributing Member

I think this website is used recreationally but, as Bryan said, lots of people here intend on publishing and I have yet to find anyone on here who doesn't take writing seriously. Critiquing, getting reviewed, exploring ideas and themes are all stretching the same muscles you employ when writing, so participating here is arguably 'work' rather than leisure? (Within reason, obviously.)
    But, this raised an interesting question in my mind: do you consider journalism to be creative writing, @Boger?
    Personally, I don't and as this is the 'creative writing forum' I wouldn't expect to find tips on it, in the same way I wouldn't expect advice on academic writing.
    Obviously journalism still has value and the forum is a 'writing community' so our journalist pals should be catered for, but I would say the 'non fiction' section is the venue for questions/advice on that particular field. Would a 'journalism' section contain something that the non fiction one doesn't/couldn't?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Boger likes this.
  6. Boger

I would enjoy it, like most writing I find enjoyable, but I'm not a journalist or reporter. It depends on who you are. You are right that eventual press would find this website resourceful to an extent. And I have the same questions what processes an article goes through, and more importantly the writer, compared to other forms of writing. I enjoy reading the newspaper as a critic... which is questionable. It's good you stress the academic part of professional writing, considering there is a lot of research to gather a capable and correct article from, which is not only much like journalism, but also varying other forms of writing, even fiction. Take this division further and we discriminate between subjective and objective academic writing; we all assume both scientist and press do the same, but I think scientists are generally far less susceptible to write anything subjectively to publish.
    And what category do glossy's and tabloids belong to? lol

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.