Judging a movie before it's release

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by MilesTro, Jul 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

They only send the kids into the dimension only because they are smart and capable of surviving like the astronauts.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I've judged this thread and I'm sure it will be awhile before it is finished.

3. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

What did you expect?

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I think it depends by what you mean by judge. Judge the entire movie itself? No probably not. Judge whether you will enjoy or well potentially enjoy a movie? Then yes.

The latter because that's what they are there for. The first on the other hand doesn't do the movie justice. The trailer can seem like crap and then the movie itself could be great. I course the reverse can be true too.

Take the Deadpool trailer. I loved it. It looks like it's going to be a fun movie. But I can also see why some would be turned off by it. The movie is probably a lot better then the actual trailer. I got the vibe that the trailer was sort of targeting people who enjoy the kind of humor. To those who don't like that kind it's kinda saying this is what you are likely to see throughout it.

Or something. Not sure if that made much sense.

Some trailers really don't give too much away.(better to be too little then to much) but they are largely trying to target the broader audience. Which isn't bad but it also makes it harder to determine if you actually want to spend money to go see it or if it's the kind of movie you might netflix or rent.

Just my two cents.

5. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

When I first saw the Transformers Age of Extinction trailer, I predicted it was going to be the same generic Michael Bay movie ever. And I was right after watching the movie and checking out its reviews.

6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I think it's stupid to do, i thought The Lego Movie and Ant-Man were going to be the biggest flops in film history but they ended up being cinematic gems. I was impressed with both. Suicide Squad is the next one i'm worried about but i have hope in the people behind the film. Will Smith looks solid as Deadshot and Leto is a fantastic actor but i just hope he fills Ledger's shoes enough to be passable.

7. JadeX

JadeX Senior Member

Regardless of how anyone judges any movies or what anyone thinks about the concept of pre-release film judging itself, I think we can all agree on one thing...

"Pixels" will be the worst film of the decade.

MilesTro likes this.
  8. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Pixels was amazing

MilesTro likes this.
  9. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I haven't seen Pixels yet, but its' trailer truly hooked me. The critics probably hate it because it looks like a typical dumb Adam Sandler movie. I will have to see it first before I judge it.

10. Daemon Wolf

The movies is pretty much an ode to the 80's. I love it. Idk why everybody seems to be jumping on the "hate Pixels" bandwagon.

11. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I just saw it last night, and I loved the action and special effects in it. But I didn't care about the characters, except the Fire Buster. The movie seemed to try to be fun with character development, but none of them worked. I think only video game fans who are familiar with the 80's video game characters. I give it an uhhh. . . it's okay.

12. Daemon Wolf

But what about the guy who got his dream to come true lol. The hot videogame chick that he 'always wanted to be with" and even wrote a book about it.

13. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

That part is !@#$ing lame! Plus they turned poor Qbert into that chick! WTF!!!

14. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Everyone prejudges, ( even when they insist they don't ) why stop with movies - :rolleyes:
    For me I was disappointed in the Jem and the Holograms trailer because it's obviously just using the 80's cartoon's name to make another crappy singer-struggles-with-fame movie. That's not what the cartoon was about at all.
    First the cartoon was a fun fantasy. Their father built a super computer called Synergy that with a pair of earrings could project holograms for Jem and her siblings. Which could be anything from flying dragons, to copies of herself to clothes and make-up. That doesn't even seem to be part of the story.

Next they went and made the movie realistic and nowadays - bor-ring. Who cares if someone becomes famous on YouTube.

Where's the great 80's glamour, Jem's selfless acts of charity, their rivals the Misfits?, the hokey romance with Rio, the Starlight girls? Arrrgh - way to screw over the fans.

MilesTro and Wreybies like this.
  15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There's no way around it. You see a thing and it either turns you on or off or leaves you neutral. All are judgements.

See? Peach agrees with me. ;)

Welcome to Life, bro. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of a segue (no matter how shoehorned) to kvetch. The American paradigm in a nutshell.

The corpse of the old franchise is still warm. It seems stupid to reboot something that no one is asking for a reboot for. Oh, wait... The actors in the older movies are old-school sexy, they lack that angsty YA charm of self-obsessed victimie emoness. Now I get it.....

Certain things belong to the 80's and should remain there. This doesn't make them bad, it just makes them context dependent.

Why reboot a cultural classic like Ghostbusters? There are uncounted turd movies littering Netflix; why doesn't someone reboot one of those and make it good this time around instead of trying to recapture a magic that ain't never, ever, EVAH gonna' happen twice in a century?

Now this is where you lose me. Successful and good don't mean the same thing to me. Lots of amazingly successful movies should come with toilet paper, far as I'm concerned.

16. peachalulu

I would've kept it 80s like any historical film - ;) I mean if they're going to shell out the money for the umpteenth version of Jane Eyre and her period piece costumes why not Jem. Of course Hollywood producers would've been spinning. The budget on hairspray alone ...

Now they're messing with Ghostbusters? Grrr. Who'd want to watch it?- No Sigourney Weaver, No Annie Potts, No Bill Murray, No Ernie Hudson, No Harold Ramis. And they'll probably even mess with Slimer and the Staypuff Marshmallow Man.

Why don't they redo something like - They Live 1988 - The special effects were corny but the movie was great up until about half way through.
    Or Supergirl? ( though personally I'm no longer crazy about comic book heros. )

Wreybies likes this.
  17. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yep! :bigwink: Great idea, shit execution. Maybe next time they shouldn't trawl the WWF rings for a lead. ;)

peachalulu likes this.
  18. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Wellll as a big time fan of comic book superheroes.

I can totally feel ya on being tired of their movies as I'm getting there to but maybe if they are looking for comic material they should adapt something that's not in the superhero genre. They could do Fables series (was almost a TV show but they did Once Upon a Time cause it was cheaper to produce so goes the story), Preacher by Garth Ennis, Y The Last Man by Brian K Vaughan and all sorts of other stuff.

They are doing a tv series of the Lucifer comics by Mike Carey but based on the trailer they turned a comic which once took most of its influence from Paradise Lost and other sources and turned into a buddy cop show.....there aren't even any cop characters in comic.

But aside from comics maybe they should make some movies of the proto-superheroes.

That would be pretty awesome.

Like reboot all the pulp characters who have had a movie or didn't. We could do Tarzan, The Shadow, The Spider and all those colorful bunch hehehehe

peachalulu likes this.
  19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Solomon Kane, even though he's had a movie.

How about Jirel of Joiry? I don't think she's had much of anything...

Kingtype and peachalulu like this.
  20. peachalulu

Actually I thought he was okay ( he had the burly look of an out-of-work construction worker ) until he opened his mouth. Whoops, that's kinda mean.

I would love for someone to redo Tarzan - not like the books though. I thought it was kinda silly to have Tarzan be well bred in the jungle. Which I think was Burroughs whole point - you can't suppress a British chap even in the jungle. Or something or other.
    I loved the old Weissmuller films. Hammy but fun.
    Maybe they could reboot Buck Rogers. Or a live action version of Jonny Quest. I loved that cartoon!

21. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

No. If it's directed by Michael Bay, I know I can safely avoid it and be doing myself a huge favour in the process, namely saving the lives of several million of my brain cells.

More so than books, films can certainly be judged on their covers.

22. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Ooooooh

That's a good one!

Never read her actual stories but I've heard of her and well certainly haven't seen a movie, this would also make a great show or movie.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2012/07/maskscover2.jpg

23. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

The Pixel trailer surely got people excited, but when they saw the film, it truly disappointed them.

24. Daemon Wolf

That's cause people hate good movies. Lol in seriousness though I don't understand why. That movie was an ode to the 80's which is exactly what it promised us. Just a bunch of bandwagon hating now.

25. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Lingerie vibe as it should have. No woman should ever have to be oppressed by all that heavy bounces-the-bullets-off crap that silly, silly boys wear. Batman needs armor because he's weak. Harley wears brothel gear because FUCK 'EM.

/joking

Kingtype likes this.