1. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

The Phoenix Colony Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Foxee, Jul 4, 2008.

Welcome to the discussion thread for The Phoenix Colony.

If you have questions or something to say out of character this is the place to do it. GM announcements (such as when a plot advancement occurs) will be posted in this thread as well.

Once we get a workable number of players who have posted profiles in the RPG thread I'll post an intro and we'll get under way.

~Foxee

1 person likes this.
  2. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Sorry a couple of questions already. 1. Whats a gaurds uniform look like and what is their standard issue? 2. How well trained are the gaurds in survival tactics? (I wouldn't think they would be at all unless they had extra on their own) 3. How can your RPG be so awsome!? (Sorry had to ask i love the whole stranded thing i've done several shorts on it.)

3. Foxee

1. Guard's uniform - Charcoal gray button-down shirt with a circular blue white an black "Global Enforcement, Global Peace" sleeve patch at the shoulder. Over the right breast pocket "Sector 9 Corrective System" is embroidered in block letters in burgundy thread. The guard's name is embroidered over the left breast pocket. (Long sleeved or short sleeved shirt is up to you) Charcoal-grey wrinkle and stain-resistant pants with a black stripe down the outside of the leg. Black belt, black boots or shoes. He might be carrying a 9 mm. sidearm (you may pick the flavor ;)), a stun gun, truncheon, flashlight, pepper spray and cuffs. The ship also has four shotguns, four rifles, and four tranq guns stored for emergencies. There are more advanced weapons in this universe but they tend to fail at awkward times and so prison guards stick with the tried and true.

2. The guards would have little formal training in survival tactics other than what they may have gathered on their own. The transport is supposed to be an easy job where the guards really don't come in contact with the prisoners at all. Dock at the prison, the guards there load up the prisoners, keep them locked up during transport, dock and hand them off into the care of guards on that end. The guards aboard the transport generally don't do much more than paperwork.

3. Why thank you! I'm glad you like the idea. I've always been interested in survival and adventure stories as well and I'm set to enjoy this one. :)

Did these answers help?

4. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Helped me a bit with some questions I had. :) Thanks

5. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Great awnsers i'm gona update my post now with proper uniform and equipment. LOL between this and JP i think i'm in RPG Utopia!

Another question... (I do this sometimes with Scifi RPG's think to much)

The gaurds should have a small to medium personal bag with clothes and stuff to hold them over till the return trip right? If so should i handle that when i get to it and make stuff up that i have in the bag because i assume i'll have to scavenge it. How many gaurds are their which translats to how many small bags we might be able to pull out and recover clothes and other somewhat useful items.

6. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    can someone let me know if my altered gentics are okay or not? please :-D

7. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

They look good to me Kitty. :D

8. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

great thanks so much rumpy

9. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

No Prob. Thanks for joining. :)

10. Foxee

Chad:
    Excellent questions! No problem that you keep having them, the answers will help all players.

Luggage Contents: The crew would have expected to be gone for about a week so their bags might include a couple more uniform shirts (the black or a white dress 'class A' version) and they have burgundy or black sweatshirts with the "Global Enforcement, Global Peace" patch on the shoulder, another pair of slacks and changes of underthings and socks. They might have packed a few toiletries (a favorite razor or shower gel for example) although the basic necessities would be on board in the crew quarters compliments of the government (which means there would be some extras in storage).

Crew: The crew would be minimal as the ship is largely automated and the prisoners locked down in their quarters. Let's say that they had a mechanic, an IT officer, a pilot and co-pilot though they didn't have to do much other than setting presets for the automatic pilot. There would be a communications officer and someone responsible for all the supplies aboard the ship. Let's say four guards (two male two female), one of which was responsible for the prisoner manifest. So...ten crew members unless I think of another essential one or two.

Food: Standard fare for the prisoners are 'Vitabars'...mostly flavorless slabs of basic nutrients and vitamins balanced for optimum use by the human body. Water, though scant, is also available. In the crew quarters food is much better: some fresh foods and single serving pouches of ready-to-eat foods both hydrated and dehydrated. See this link for ideas. Food on the transport is more basic than on some other ships of the time period.

Thoughts on ship layout and prisoner restraints:
    The bridge and crew quarters are to the front of the ship. To the back of those are the prisoner quarters, male prisoners on the right side of the ship (facing to front) and female prisoners on the left. They are divided by a corridor with observation panels so that the guards can walk through and make sure everything's ok without coming into contact with the prisoners.

The quarters are divided so that the more dangerous prisoners are kept separate from the less dangerous.
    The less dangerous are unrestrained and kept together in one large holding cell forward of the more dangerous.
    The more dangerous (killers) are divided from the others to the rear of the ship by a mesh made of twisted steel filaments coated with a tough plastic polymer that would take a man with a hacksaw a week (and several blunted hacksaw blades) to cut through. Each 'dangerous' prisoner is shackled by the right wrist to a polymer-coated steel chain that is attached through the wall to some unseen anchor on the other side. There is just enough 'give' in the setup to allow them to sit on the narrow bunk, stand, lie down, use the small steel toilet, etc. They are spaced so that they cannot reach each other or the front mesh wall separating them from the 'less dangerous' prisoners. Their ankles are shackled together as well so that their walk is a shuffle. The restraints are unlocked using a radio frequency instead of a traditional key.

Gloom Kitty: Great profile!

Rumpole: What offense did your character commit that led to his imprisonment? Edit: I get the idea that he was guilty as sin and went to prison only because he was ratted out by 'the family'? I love that we have a mobster. :D

11. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

That depends on who you talk to. If you talk to him - he was a high ranking mafioso who was into everything from gambling to hired killings. In reality - he was a goon that just looked threatening. He started believing his own press after he was convicted. Bottom line - The Godfather was scarred of leaving Earth so, he dumped everything on Harold (who's biggest offense was probably beating up the occasional person. This will all be explained in the first post.

12. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

LOL Cull thinks his boring that should be fun

13. Foxee

Alrighty, cool, Rumpole. That looks great.

BTW, everyone, I'm adding links to each character profile at the beginning of the story thread so that they will be easy to find and refer to until we get used to what everyone looks like, etc.

14. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

That's a great idea.

15. Foxee

Kitty, he's not boring, LOL, he's a great character. Just wait till we get underway, you'll see.

16. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

thanks for that Foxee hopefully things will go great

17. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Actually Kitty, if you didn't create someone like him, I would have. (true!)

18. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

Woohoo thanks for the awnsers. So i wouldn't have a set of civilian clothes, thats fine though i like the gaurd uniform you made out HAHA. Love the "tough guy" mobster.

19. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Thanks Chad. BTW thanks for creating one of the guards.

20. Foxee

Hey, Chad, that's kind of up to you and up to each guard. They might have packed a set of work-out clothes but with so few of them on board I don't think they're off duty very much.

21. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

LOL so i can have a speedo. LOL. No thanks but is it okay if I have a jacket i can just say it was cold back on earth. I really want a leather jacket, lol their cool.

22. Foxee

A Speedo! whoo :eek: Smith was voted 'Sexiest Guard in Sector 9' last August?

LOL, I don't see why not. You could also say that your superiors hated when you wore that jacket rather than the jacket provided with your uniform.

You rebel, you.

23. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 New Member

HAHAHA I'm so gona use that. LOL, "Smith why the hell are you wearing that stupid jacket again! Your provided with a high quality synthetic jacket that keeps you much warmer than that old rag you wear!" "ya sir but you just can't beat a good leather jacket. I mean common sir, admit it, i look cool."

24. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

This rpg looks awesome, hope you guys like my character.

25. Foxee

Hey, Shadow, yep, your character is fine. I swear I had my character's appearance (with the red hair and green eyes) written before I ever saw yours. Oh well.

Fox will be in the 'dangerous prisoner' cell in the women's quarters, shackled to the back wall along with my character. You'll see the situation when I post the intro. :D