1. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

Just a little bit wierd...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dreamersky1212, Jul 25, 2015.

Hello world, it's just me. You may return to your regularly scheduled program now. So...my story. I am 28, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, minor in Sociology and a job that doesn't use it. I found my passion for writing late. So many writers that I have spoken (written?) to were early bloomers and have now have the distinction of being published authors. That is a fantasy of mine. Actually, I think that I just might pass out if I was ever lucky enough to have one of my novels turned into an audiobook and available on Audible. I just might enter my name in the search bar daily just to stare at it. I am now picturing a beam of light from heaven shining down on my computer screen and a heavenly choir singing as the screen shows that I...me, just little ol' me...have now been published. *Sigh*

Anyway, back to the story. In college I decided to write my first novel in lieu of my Honors Thesis. It was intense, stressful and pretty much the only time in my life that I was certain that this is what I wanted to do.
    However, knowing that I want to be a writer and actually creating a novel good enough to be published are two different things. I gave the whole publishing thing a shot. I sent out about 20 query letters. Yeah I know, most people say 50, but I told myself that if I didn't get a favorable response by 20 then I should take a break from it for a while.

Fast forward 5 freaking years and I am now at a job that bores me and I still crave the feeling I had when I wrote my first novel. It was like this giddy rush and I missed it. So, I decided that I am going to do it damn it! I am going to write again! I am currently 5 chapters in to my new novel, and I am happy. I feel like a part of me that was stuck in a box and shoved in the back of my closet has been set free. I decided to join this forum, because if I have learned that I am not the only one on this crazy train called writing, and I want to know you all. I want to talk to you and learn from you. I want to bond with you over things like writers block and character writing pitfalls. I want to see what you are writing and have you see what I am writing. I want to be just a little bit weird and know that you know exactly what I am talking about.

GuardianWynn, KaTrian and Ben414 like this.
  2. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Yay! Welcome! It doesn't matter when you unlock your inner writer, as long it brings you joy when you do. I'd love to have a book on Audible someday too, doesn't even matter if it sold, just to see it there would be golden!

3. Song

Song Active Member

Welcome to the forum. It's never too late to start doing the thing you want!

4. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

Hello. I am also new here. Thought I'd respond to a few "newbie" posts. I know what you mean that writing can be a rush. I love the feeling when my story is really flowing well and it just feels right. I can notice when I'm writing a part that is maybe sluggish or that needs to be revamped because it's lagging the momentum. I got to that point the other day on part of my new story where it seemed to have all this energy and at the end of a chapter, I felt like it was really becoming turtle-like. So I'll have to re-read that part and find out exactly why.

But I hope you enjoy this place and I look forward to corresponding hopefully. :)

- Whip

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

That's an interesting story, and I'm sure something a lot of us can relate to. Good to hear you're giving writing another shot! I hope we'll be able to help and support you on your journey. :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started, if you hadn't found it yet.

See you around!

-Kat

6. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

A very energetic and admirable introduction, I hope you bask in the rush of the challenge once more and one day find your name thrusting up from the search bar :p