1. TopherB

TopherB Member

My name is topher

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TopherB, Jul 24, 2015.

You might think it an odd thing to hear, likely not as odd as it is to confess, that I am a 30 year old man who has decided to pursue the art of writing with little to no experience with English grammar and vocabulary. Most of my life has been in the direction of the digital fantasy world, yes video games. I know some programming and have dabbled slightly in the difficulties of modern digital arts, but when it comes to words I feel very under confident.

It is not my intention to insult anyone, I simply want to increase my life in a direction towards something more. I do not read books, perhaps it is lack of concentration or skill, but it has always been farthest from my mind. Yet I know I cannot go further without doing so. A bit of background on me, the character of this little story.

About six months ago I fell, who really knows where, and I realized I needed something more. I work during the day at a job that doesn't give me the freedom that I crave, and I know I can do better. Originally I wanted to start a video game company as I did start my short college expedition wanting to create video games. I have this weird obsession with creating different ways to play video games and I have always known I could do well if I put my mind into it. I started doing this, but now I feel like I am not immersing myself enough and not falling in love with that path. Five years ago I was asked if I ever looked into creative writing, as creating the stories and backgrounds for things seem to be more fun than actually programming. Of course I blew it off because I have been a gamer since time began for me, also the bad grammar, low vocabulary, and confidence doesn't help either. I know I am older, but am secretly hoping it is not to late for me to learn. There are so many places I could start, most trying to get money from me, but I chose to start here. So I suppose I am asking, where would be a good place to start? Do you recommend anbooks read? I have read The Hobbit, it was OK. I've listen to some audio books, Emerson and Wattles, but I think actually reading books would increase my vocabulary more and allow me to really see how books begin and end. Perhaps one day it will make me brave enough to post something I have written, that would be a nice step.

Anyway, I seem to be babbling, nice to meet you all and am excited to absorb some great criticism.

Regards,

TopherB

2. Song

Song Active Member

From this avid gamer, welcome to the forum.

While game design is unlikely going to help in the actual art of writing, it should give you a head start in thinking about how to create a fictional world and what kinds of stories you want to tell. Modern games are becoming increasingly narrative driven (just look at games like 'The Last of Us' or 'Alan Wake'), so its possible that gaming will have a positive effect on your creative writing. As for books to recommend, what kind of things do you like in the way of movies or games? That might help people here steer you to the kind of books you like.

3. TopherB

TopherB Member

Hey there and thanks for the response. I am really trying to find myself in the reading word. I think very logically being in the programming scene, so I am naturally attracted to philosophy and anything that would make me think deep. So if there is something that would make me think and still be creative, I am for that. I don't mind research either. I read so.ewhere it might be a good idea to read about personalities, is that true? Anyway thanks for the reply, let me know.

4. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

My story is a lot like yours. I am 28, have a Bachelor's degree in Psychology and have no interest in my day job. It pays the bills, that is about all I can say for it. I guess my advice would be to explore. Find what genre you like. If you were only vaguely interested in the novels you have read thus far, then they are probably not in the genre that you would want to write in. Yes, read. But read things that capture your imagination. Did you know Audible has sample chapters that you can listen to before you buy and a return policy if you don't like the book? You need to develop a passion. It takes commitment to write 50,000 words. You have to be engaged with the characters. You have to want to know their story and you have to be the one that wants to tell it. Your introduction letter was very well written, so we know that you have the linguistic skills. For me, I got into writing because I felt that there were stories that needed to be told, and I wasn't finding them. I wanted to be the one to bring those stories to life. Is my writing always perfect. Absolutely not! Its not really about the "literary technique" but more storytelling. I have always been someone who writes like I talk. Which is great when it comes to storytelling, but grammar and I never do see *eye to I*

5. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Have you read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? It is fantastic and might really pique your interest and get you back into the reading game. If you don't have the attention span to just sit and read the pages, audiobooks are a great way to go.

The more you read(listen) the easier the words will flow. Your brain will adopt the rhythm of storytelling and you'll find it isn't quite as hard as it once was. You're smart to realize that reading is where you need to start. Is there any genre you prefer?

6. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Oh also, participating in the RP's is a fantastic way to exercise your writing muscles and practice with others. It also has a bit of a game feel, which might help you transition.

7. Song

Song Active Member

If you like philosophy and logical thinking, you might like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It's very philosophical and super funny. Here is a philosophical video of his from you tube that I think is funny and also very though provoking.

8. Whiplash

Whiplash New Member

Hello, Topher. I understand how you feel about needing something more. I stated in my "Hello" post here that I suffer from a physical addiction. Sometimes that has to do with unfulfilled wants or needs. The other day, when I started writing again, it felt like my mind and spirit were starting to be free again. I think I have always been sort of imaginative and if I don't put it to use in some way, it's like maybe a ventilation pipe that clogs up with dust and is not useful anymore. I need to be active in creative pursuits and I feel like I'll be happier and healthier.

As far as working with video games, many a video game have pretty elaborate, creative storylines. You can always draw off of such things for inspiration for your own writing. I think just about anything can serve as inspiration. So far as being concerned about your English, certainly if you want to publish a piece of work, it will have to be grammatically correct. An editor can help with that but perhaps you might also be interested in attending English classes at a local college or university. This could help in many ways to be more confident in your use of the language. I'm sure there are (free?) online sources as well to help.

Good luck and hope to see you around!

- Whip

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Topher, and welcome aboard! :) Sounds like you'll fit right in. You'll find plenty of tips here about creative writing, I can guarantee that. :D

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. Have fun!

-Kat

10. TopherB

TopherB Member

This is all great everyone, thanks so much for the encouragement. It looks to me that I have much to do. See you in there.