Just a taught!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Bob Stuart, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I loved both those movies! :D especially the first one with Eddie Murphy. As I can remember two men made a bet that they could pick a random guy on the street and make him as successful as the rich guy. Unbelieveably entertaining. :p Why don't they make movies like that anymore??

2. Tesoro

AGAIN!!! double post...

3. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

I used to really like that show!

4. art

art Contributor Contributor

Mr Burns, having become penniless, regained his empire - his millions - on the back of collecting cans. Entirely plausible.
    Season 8, The Old Man and the Lisa.

5. joanna

joanna Active Member

It's fine to write stories in a different language from your native one. Probably good practice. It's more than I can do.

If a writer hasn't mastered basics of spelling and grammar, I can't follow their stories because I'm constantly tripped up and taken out of the narrative. Sometimes it's just painful to read. I don't know that the OP's stories would be this way, but I generally get an idea of what people's stories will look like based on the posts they're capable of making.

There's nothing wrong with creative writing in another language for fun. It's when you have an audience that you've got to fix the ish.

6. Tesoro

When did the OP say that he was going to write the story in english? I must have missed that. Just because some of us non-english-speakers on here post in english doesn't mean we write our stories in english too. Not all of us, at least. There seem to be a common assumption here that everyone is writing in english (even outside the forum). I can only speak for myself but I'm not.

1 person likes this.
  7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, of course! People over in France write in French because it's their native language.

Write in the native language, the editors/publishers will take care of the translations for other countries.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

huh???

this is misleading, sorry to say... if you write in your native language, you can only have your work published in that country... and unless it's a book that sells so well it would make huge sums of money for the publishers if translated, they're not going to spend money on translating it...

9. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

Exactly. How many Dutch writers have been translated in English? I know Jan Willem van de Wetering moved to America and started re-writing his own novels in English. Multatuli, Reve, Mulisch, maybe Wolkers might be known outside the Netherlands. All of these authors are considered 'literary'. If you write suspense novels, the Dutch will regard you with slight disdain, unless you get published abroad and translated to Dutch, then they're all over you.

How many of you have read Günther Grass? Sebastien Japrisot? Erich Kästner? Rabelais? Choderlos de Laclos? Boulle?
    How many of you have seen The Tin Drum? One Deadly Summer? Dangerous Liaisons? Bridge on the River Kwai? Planet of the Apes?

1 person likes this.