Tags:
  1. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

The Looking Glass Wars

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by DragonGrim, Dec 18, 2008.

I just finished reading The Looking Glass Wars. Has anyone else read this book?

I thought it was good, definitely worth reading, even though I'm more of a fan of hardcore fantasy.

Alyss Heart, Hatter, The Cat…I like the characters. Who's your favorite?

2. kyle777

kyle777 Member

I've really been wanting to read this book, I just can't find it in my library. How was it? Is it a twisted version of Alice in Wonderland or is it more modern and grim?

3. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

It is a good book. I think it is the old story stretched over a modern fantasy framework.

4. de la vega

de la vega New Member

Hm. This sounds intruiging. Lewis Carroll is one of my favorite authors, and his Alice works some of my favorite writing. I know kyle777 already asked, but is The Looking Glass Wars a parody?

5. kyle777

kyle777 Member

I"ve looked it up and it doesn't look like a parody. It actually looks like a modern epic fantasy, combining all the wonderful characters and ideas from the original material and making the world of Wonderland have real problems and bloody wars and such. I've definitely got to check this out.

6. AthenaMinerva

AthenaMinerva New Member

I liked this book. It was interesting, sort of different from what I usually read. The second book Seeing Redd was good as well, almost as good as the first book.

7. Blossom

Blossom New Member

I think this is an excellent book. It's by no means a parody - if anything it's a bit of a tribute. It turns Wonderland into a real, alternate universe in the midst of political turmoil and upheaval, and is far more adult than you might think.

The basic plot line is (according to Amazon):

As I said, I very much enjoyed it. I think it was well-written, and brilliantly imagined, with a carefully thought out plotline and excellent characters. Normally in books there is at least one character that severely annoys me, often more, but with this I actually liked all the characters. Even the villains.

It's not the most sophisticated book in the world, and there are probably holes to be picked, but I think it's definitely worth a read.

And to answer your question DragonGrim, my favourite named character is probably General Doppleganger. Though I loved the chess pieces too :p