Just got fired from my new job.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MatrixGravity, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You're not really serious are you?

2. wolfi

wolfi New Member

as for where you called him a spefric type of guy
    you asumme he would be one of those, the fact that he stayed and did the work proves other wise

i will admit would he last the whole day? i dont know

and that the kids who ask their moms to help would be like that

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I was capable of putting a bandaid on my own scraped knees when I was 10. Then I'd go back out and keep on playing Manhunt. No big deal.

I do see your point, though. Sometimes it's wise to ask a parent for help. No one should ever feel ashamed for utilizing resources. I've gotten help from parents, former college professors etc on things like getting my resumes perfect.

However, you seem to think that a person should be able to get a job simply because Mom/Dad says they should.

In your example, you mention a teenager getting his dad to get him in the paper to get him a job. Does this kid's dad work for a paper? Is he an editor? Because I'm a reporter, and I know that if someone called my editor like "My teenager wants a job, can you include an article/ad about his merits" that caller would not be taken seriously.

4. wolfi

wolfi New Member

they all have the same thing

someone thinking they are so mature
    and as shuch dont need help
    thats immature

and stupid

5. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply lately guys. I have had an extremely rough 24 hours and I'm just trying to get some rest. Just to clarify, I applied to the position on my own. My mom is the one who decided to take it upon herself to make the phone call. I told her not to get involved and she did. What can you do?

6. wolfi

wolfi New Member

i could do it at four :D i wanted\want to be a doctor

no but i belive at 17 years of age they know you beter then you know your self
    and they know how to get you a job and you dont

well usely when this hapeens the dad knows the job some how or way

so lets asumme the kid is good
    there is nothing wrong with the dad going and showing his buddys

now im not saying let the dad do all the work but i see nothing wrong with the parents hellping the kids get the jo

in the old days you adopted the parents job

7. Trish

No, I am stating that in a professional environment I expect an employee to handle themselves and having their parent, girlfriend, neighbor, priest, or dogwalker call to set up or fix something tells me, right off the bat, that they are not responsible enough to handle things for themselves. What happens if something goes wrong? I don't need them calling mom, I need them using the brain they were gifted with at birth. So no, I'll pass.

Again, there was NO REFERENCE to ANY specific person in that post whatsoever, and there was none intended.

8. Trish

But most of your examples are children that are supposed to be immature. Am I being punk'd?

9. Mallory

I'm sorry about that; I know the feeling of being stressed and overworked, and it sucks that your mom took that leap.

Maybe you could sit down and have a mature discussion with her. Tell her you love and appreciate her for trying to help, but that you're an adult and you need to handle this stuff on your own. Mention things like professionalism, employers wanting to see independence, etc and also tell her that you're grown and need to take care of your own problems, although you'll always appreciate her giving you advice and input. make sure it's a civil and mature discussion, and approach her about having a mature talk beforehand so she's prepared and won't be taken aback or offended. Also, be respectful, don't seem like a 3-year-old who wants to do everything himself.

This is my advice.

I apologize if I seemed like I was slamming on you, because I wasn't aware that you didn't ask your mom to call; however, it's still something you should address with her.

If I may ask, what happened within the first hour that made them kick you out? Seems a bit harsh after one hour. I'm curious what exactly happened.

10. wolfi

wolfi New Member

so let me get this teighit?
    you said you would not hire him becuse his mom called

you said you wont hire someone whos parents call because you don't want the mom saying why they cant mop

how dose that not Reference him?

I'll acpet that its not intended

anyways as the guy said
    the mom did it on her own
    he told her not to

as i have been sayign all along

11. wolfi

wolfi New Member

no the facts the 18 year old is acting like a chiuled by not accepting help

12. Mallory

"I could do it at four, I wanted to be a doctor."

Wolfi, I said I could do it at 10 because that was the age you listed.....I could have done it at 4, too.............I feel like you're playing devil's advocate just for the hell of it.

And there's nothing wrong with having a parent casually mention a good word about their teen and then take a business card to give the teen, but if the parent's the one setting the job up, it's a problem. And the parent setting the job up is the impression I was getting from your posts.

13. Trish

Dude, this does NOT apply to MG. His mom called AFTER he was already fired, I'm talking about a parent calling to set up an interview. It has nothing to do with him.

14. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Don't worry about it no hard feelings. Trust me I've tried to have that discussion with her. She still treats me like i'm five sometimes. I guess she was just really happy that I found employment after a while and didn't want me to lose this opportunity and knew that If I wasn't going to do anything, she would have too. But I do understand where you're coming from as well. And here's the situation at the job. I showed up. They introduced me to my trainer, then I was warned that I can't wear my hair out so I tried to move it away and parts of it still stuck out and I have a bad habit of touching my hair so I had to keep fixing the side of it cause it was bugging me. After about an hour of watching my trainer work, I grew a bit more familiar with the coffee machine, and how to mix it, etc. Then after an hour he just randomly came up to me and said that the manager said I had to leave because of my hair. Idk, that was basically their reasoning and I refuse to cut it to accomodate their standards. I tried parting it but the thing is, I have some acne that I'm self conscious about and with my hair pulled back it kinda exposes it and I didn't like that so I tried to hide it by keeping some of my hair in the front. I just wasn't comfortable with the whole hair dilemma. So yeah.. I just figured I'd be working a register and not touching anything food related but guess not. I'm going to just try to find work at a department store or something.. Then I can dress normally and not have to look like an idiot..

15. wolfi

wolfi New Member

a parent seting upp the interview is fine by me

i can ask them the questions the teen may not answer

where i am local palces send home a form for the parents to feel out
    note this is local places like McD do not do this
    only the laocal palces do
    so here parents really do get the kids the job

16. Trish

That's why I said MOST of your examples. We've already discussed what I think of 18 year olds asking mommy for help on a regular basis (with jobs and things of that nature) and I'm not rehashing it for the hell of it.

17. Trish

It depends on the age you are and where you live on whether or not the parent has to fill out working papers for you.

I'm telling you what I think from a past management experience. That's all. You disagree. That's your right.

18. wolfi

wolfi New Member

the thing that got me was you calling them inmature

I'm okay with you thinking defriently
    except when it comes to "name calling"
    i know its not name calling
    but inmature is thorwn around to much to mean what you dont like

19. Trish

You just answered that yourself. I never called anyone any names. I stated my opinion. There is a definition for immaturity, just like the definition for maturity that I gave you. "They" whoever "they" may be at this point certainly don't meet the definition for maturity. It's not as though I'm making up words.

20. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

Man -- see, this is total BS that you're going through, and everyone's telling you that it's your fault. I've been there man, and I just want to say it gets better. You don't have to put up with those bastards forever, and there's every reason to keep fighting. Pisses me off some of the attitudes you see out there. "You should feel lucky!" "You screwed up!" "Get your act together." Come on guys, have some compassion. At the very least your manager should have tried to work this out with you instead of sending you home. There must have been some solution or compromise like a hat or a hairnet that they could have worked out. Instead they send you home and telling you not to come back. And on top of that, the indignity of your mother calling them like that when you didn't want her to. I don't blame you for being pissed off. I think it's important for you to know that there is dignity to be found in menial work, and that not all of your managers will treat you this way. You're going to have to do things that you didn't expect to do in order to survive in the work force. But I think you have every right to be pissed off in this situation, and I certainly don't think it was your fault.

21. Mallory

Yeah for sure.

Hey Matrix, just so you know, this current debate about people getting their parents to deal with problems for them isn't about you, and it isn't or wasn't accusing you of doing that. The debate stemmed from comments another person made about what is and isn't acceptable in general, for anyone.

22. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributor Contributor

^^ Yeah, I did get that Mal. And wolfi, I just gotta say -- sometimes it's best to let an issue drop and turn the other cheek. I can only imagine what Matrix must feel seeing all this arguing as a result of what is undoubtedly an already stressful situation for him.

23. Trish

Just to be clear (cause I'm honestly sure if you're lumping me in there) I did not intend for any of my comments to be directed at Matrix, which I have said repeatedly. I was speaking in general, about people in general, not about him.

What his mother did is absurd.

However - What the company did - if he did in fact have his hair in an unacceptable manor - was not only acceptable for the day, but necessary. long term I can't comment on.

24. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Thanks man for empathizing with me. I wholeheartedly agree. They shouldn't have just sent me home like that. We could have compromised and worked something out rather then terminating me on the spot. I just got really depressed because my mom was really proud that I finally found work and I let her down.. I feel like such a screw up at this point.. After finally landing the job I felt .. alive again. Because I'm always alone and working would give me a chance to socialize and work with people and now its back to being lonely once again. I cannot believe how life is slapping me in the face at every corner.

1 person likes this.
  25. Mallory

We all screwed up. About a year and a half ago, I interviewed with this editor (I'm a journalist/reporter, so I'm not talking about book-publishing editors or anything although I wish) who I got bad, bad vibes from...like I walked in there and realized I'd never want to work for her....so I didn't know how to handle it or cover smoothly and I kind of accidentally botched things a bit.

We all have that experience at some point. Don't beat yourself up. Just meant Dunkin Donuts isn't where you're meant to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.