1. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

Just Joined-Joshlyn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Joshlyn, Jun 3, 2014.

Hello, I'm Joshlyn. I just joined the forum today.
    A little about me... I just graduated college w/ a Bachelor's of Arts in Photojournalism and I minored in Creative Writing. I have a strong gift for writing. I never knew much about the creative writing angle, but when I abruptly learned I needed a minor which I wasn't previously aware of I decided to take the Intro to Creative Writing class just to see what it was about. Well guess what, I never took another class to try out anything else as a minor, that one class had me hooked. I realized I just have a natural gift and whether it's journalistic or creative, I'm a writer through and through.

I know every forum has a unique set of their user generated "etiquette" if you will, so I wanted to post a general hello and help thread before anything else.

I've written approximately 10 *keepable* poems, 5 short fiction pieces, and 8 non-fiction, all in my classes, well one poem I wrote today, which was obviously not for a class since I graduated. So all my short fiction are approximately 2,000 words and several of the non-fiction are also approximately 2,000 words while others are under 1,000.

I'm in the process of affording a membership on writing.com. Which if anyone could help me pick which membership would be best that'd be great too. But I'd like to post my work (not all at once, I hate when people flood a forum because they'renew), and get some outsider feedback. Mind you these have all been read and I've received constructive critiques of them in their respective classes which were almost all workshop style. But almost no one outside of those classes, which were often a lot of the same people, have really read and given feedback on my work.

Immediately I'm interested in revising the poem I wrote today. So should I go ahead and go under the poetry tab and post it?

Again, I just want to make sure I'm following "the rules."

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Joshlyn, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start Guide (it contains the site rules, FAQ, etc.), participate, and have fun.

In answer to your immediate questions, our rules state you have to be a member here for two weeks, have made twenty or more posts, and have contributed at least two critiques of other members' work before you can post your own for critique. You'll find all that explained in the link I gave.

Don't get discouraged by those requirements - they're actually very easy to meet!

I hope you have a good time here. :)

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Joshlyn. :) I merged your threads over to this one so my partner's response would make sense. ;)

4. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

Thanks y'all. I actually was reading another newbie thread and noticed the quick start, but that was after I'd already posted this.

I can definitely meet those requirements. Already working on them. Now if I meet the 20 posts and 2 critiques before 2 weeks, do I still have to wait 2 weeks, or are the 2 weeks like firm?

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of helpful people here and there is lots of conversations that take place where you can free your mind a bit when needed.

*Make sure to feed the bears.*

6. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

Yeah, from what I've read so far it looks great, everyone seems positive, not mean or rude about their critiques. Like I said I was a creative writing minor and we were always told to be courteous, that even if we hated it, we didn't have to be rude about it, rather simply give constructive criticism instead.

7. Joshlyn

Joshlyn Member

I was wondering if y'all could make ONE exception for 1 poem.

See I have this poem, and I need as much help to revise it as possible, I wouldn't be asking for an exception if it weren't for the fact that the deadline to submit it to the place I'm wanting to is due on June 15th and that comes before I'm allowed to post my work for review. As far as all my other work, I'll gladly wait the 2 weeks.