1. TobeWritten

TobeWritten New Member

Just joined

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TobeWritten, Apr 8, 2011.

Hello,

I'd found this forum a while ago when looking for more info about creating worlds and plots for fantasy writings, which I enjoy writing the most, and thought well I may as well join :)

My name is Heather and I'm 23 years old. I've been interested in writing since I was 9 years old when I wrote my first story at school in an English lesson. 14 years later my writing is all over the place and my head is always full of too much reality that I have so many stories on the go, all different genres and all different lengths, some I know from beginning to end and what's going to happen but can't write it and some I've kinda given up on because it wasn't going anywhere lol.

I've always heard over and over 'read more' when it comes to writing and as a child I loved books, reading in the school library and at home before bed, so reading was like talking to me and I do that enough lol, but during my mid-teens I'd get flustered when reading out-loud which I think began because of those English lessons when the class was made to read parts of a book. The annoying thing was the words on any page, in any font and in any size were constantly jumbling up and moving, I'd say words that weren't even in the sentence and I'd read so slowly that other kids would call out and finish it for me. I was never tested for dyslexia but my 'creative writing' and spelling during my childhood was very good so nothing was picked up I guess but I was just completely put off reading by that experience. I kinda feel, because I've always wanted to write since I was that little 9 year old, that you need to be able to read a lot and read well and understand what you're reading to be able to write something worthwhile, and that terrifies me knowing I want to but its difficult. I think, personally, what I write is ok and I've read tips on how to be a 'good fantasy writer' etc and every kinda 'tip' it gives to do, I've done, and every 'tip' not to do, I haven't, so I must be doing something right without even knowing lol.

Anywho, that's a long introduction post! Oops! Didn't mean to write that much but that's me :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Heather, Welcome to the Creative Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Writing Workshop before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Writing Workshop, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Writing Workshop, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. We also impose a two-week waiting period before you may post writing for critique, to give you time to become familiar with what is expected and how the site operates. The Writing Workshop forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Writing Workshop forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Rhysirl

Rhysirl New Member

Hi! Glad to meet you! My eyes like to jump around and twist things too while I'm reading. I love writing sci/fi and fantasy. Can't wait to see some of your stuff!

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the WF. :)

5. TobeWritten

TobeWritten New Member

I've just read through parts of the 'rules' pages and I don't think this forum is going to be ideal for me. I'm not willing to participate in the kinds of things this forum expects from its newcomers so I won't be sticking around.