1. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tim Ryan, Mar 8, 2012.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and new to writing in general. I never have written or had any formal education in writing. I only have had an idea and a passion to one day put that idea on paper for others to read. I never thought it would ever materialize into anything but recently, I took an enormous step and started a blog that I self published about my character. I am looking for any and all advice on how to eventually turn this idea into the novel I've dreamed of and get it published.

2. Bryce

Bryce New Member

I am also a new writer but not to the point I haven't written published anything beore. I am working on my first full length novel (its my third, maybe fourth try though.)

I think you should start writing a story figuring out how will begin and how it will end. Once you have the basics down, details will fall into place. Maybe you don't know how your story will end yet. If thi is the case, ask yourself these questions:

What are my protagonists
    what are my antagonits
    what will the theme be (what lesson will be learned)
    how to i use my characters to proove that lesson to be true or false
    at what point will my characters tension be the highest
    what relation do my characters have
    how do my characters show likeable/dislikeable traits (a reader has to like your characters, or dislike the enemies. without an emotional connection felt by you and your readers, the story will never be read the way you intended)

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Start writing the actual novel. That's the only way to make your dream come true. Also be sure to read a lot to see how other writers deal with characters, setting, etc.

4. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

I've been blogging my character on an almost daily basis. Self published on blogger.com. It's raw and needs a ton of clean up. I have no clue where to begin my novel though. I feel like the task is too daunting and I am intimidated by this.

5. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

@Bryce, I will check out ywriter5. Thanks.

6. AmyHolt

AmyHolt Contributing Member

You eat an elephant one bite at a time. Yeah it's cliche but it works. I would start writing by picking out a few important plot points and writing those scenes. Or even just pick a scene that's hot in you mind and write that. Then move to another scene.

7. Erato

Erato Contributing Member

Have you formed a plot? If so, examine it and pick the best place to introduce the reader to the character. If not, go come up with one. Then write the novel. Don't allow yourself to be daunted by the task. You're a writer. You can write anything.

... or you have to believe you can.

8. Dubya

Dubya Member

100% agree, don't let the scale of the project put you off. I hadn't written a thing until about a year ago, and managed to finish a novel. (Not a great one, admittedly, but a novel nonetheless!) If I can do it, anyone can.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Most writers don't have any formal education in writing, no worries about that.

What I did was set myself a challenge, to see if I could write something longer/ of novel-length. No pressure. It was just an experiment. Somewhere along the way, after some brainstorming and coming up with characters etc, I got into it and somehow wanted to keep on writing. Yeah, it took a long time and the first draft wasn't all that excellent... but I worked on it more (on and off for two years) and learned a lot during the process.

So just start brainstorming, or take the plunge and write. :)

10. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

Thank you everyone. Your encouraging words are much appreciated. I have a basic storyline but being that my genre is that of fantasy, there is so much detail I need to create before I start. Example, the world in which this story takes place, the many different races of people, the many religions and deities, the relationships between the races and the overall culture. All I have now is the character. I think that is the most daunting part of all. I have managed to blog his adventures but in an already created world that is not my own.

11. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Have you done much reading? That will give you real life examples of how to start, how to draw the reader in, weaving in subplots, developing characters...in other wods, the whole process. I would recommend reading across numerous genres, not just the one you wish to write.

12. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

In that case, what you have is essentially fanfiction - your own original character inserted into someone else's fantasy world (this could describe literally bajillions of 'ordinary teen falls into middle earth and goes along with the quest of the ring' fics). There's no reason why an original character can't be given his own custom built world to romp about it, but if it started out as fanfic, beware the pitfalls of writing a heavily derivative story with a few details changed here and there to try and pass it off as original ('oh, but my elves are dark creatures, and they don't live in the forest they live in the desert, and the Zuruk Aye aren't goblins crossed with men, they're goblins crossed with cave trolls...')

ooops...

13. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

Novel writing is daunting at first, but in time, it becomes enjoyable. I ditto the advice, do alot of reading, then you will get some idea how to start your book.

14. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

That is exactly my dilememma. The charecter is 100% my own build. Creating a realm that is unigue and original is the hard part. Once I accomplish that, the story will flow. I have that pretty much mapped out. I guess I should just start plotting my new world for my charecter to live in.

I had read a lot of books from a couple differnt genres. Thank you for the help. Now I will start with brainstorming the new world. I really appreciate the helpfulness of everyone so far. I wish I found this forum earlier.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Your question is answered, at least in part, by this entire site.

But as some have said, reading is the first step. But read with a goal. Read a good novel, and pay attention to what makes it good. A bad novel can teach you too, when you analyze why it falls flat.

At first, you may not have a clue how to answer those questions. But keep at it, and you will learn.

16. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

Read with a goal. Thanks. I'll do that. I think I am going to take some if the advice and take the plunge and just start writing too. Thank you all for the help. Your words gave given me the courage to jump feet first into this project.

17. ghayes14

ghayes14 New Member

Maybe I'm being basic, but "creating a realm" is, to me, best done by just grabbing a piece of paper and drawing a map. Don't worry about it making much sense on your first draft. The best advice I've seen on this board is that people think their first draft is going to be read by millions. In reality, maybe two or three people other than yourself will read that first draft. So just go for it. Don't worry about it being stupid.

And my other advice, is while you're reading, make notes of ANY ideas that pop in your head. I don't know why, but last night I just had to write down "hacked holograms". We'll see where that one goes....

18. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I agree, start simple, you can always add layers and more and more information in the later drafts, when you get ideas for it, sometimes even writing the story will make you realize you have to revise the world you've created.

19. Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan New Member

Again, thank you for all your advice. Here goes. I am starting today.