1. e(g)

e(g) New Member

Finished My First Novel

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by e(g), Aug 4, 2011.

I just finished the final copyedit of my first novel. It's been a long time in the making. I got the idea for it in November 2006. So much has changed since then; it's hard to believe.

But it's done, and of course I'm going to self-publish it. I think that's the best way to go these days for a new writer who has no audience--maybe the only way. I'm going to call my publishing company Black Spirit Publishing (I have a black lab named Spirit. It's the dog in my avatar. And all my books are gothic stories, so it seems to fit.).

I'm very experienced at formatting and publishing for Kindle and e-books in general. In my opinion, I do it better than the big houses do. So, at least I have that going for me.

But this one is only the first of many. I intend to be very prolific, and in fact I've already started my second novel (9,000 words in so far).

So, onward and upward. I'll give it twenty years, I figure. And I'm thankful already because win or lose, succeed or fail, at least I got my shot. I'd hate to die thinking I never got my shot. You know?

2 people like this.
  2. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Congratulations!

Here's to the beginning of a long and illustrious career. Black Spirit Publishing, hey. I'll remember the name...

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Cool, my Mom's cousin is a self published Author. But Congratulations, finishing a book is no easy task!

4. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Congrats, and keep going. :)

5. LostInFiction

LostInFiction New Member

Congratulations!!! Lots of people start novels but you can say you finished yours :)
    You must be feeling fabulously proud of yourself and quite rightly so.
    Best of luck with the self-publishing. I've just read an article in a writing magazine about the first self-publishing author to sell one million kindle downloads....I can't even count that high! :D

6. InkwellC

InkwellC New Member

Congratulations!

My wife has a book publish coming out at the end of this year. We have thought about doing some self-publishes for some Christian books ideas that she has. The things that God is doing in our life is amazing and we feel blessed every day.

Keep it up!

7. e(g)

e(g) New Member

Thanks, man. And as a male nurse, you can bet I love that version of the Joker the best. Kudos!

Thanks Fullmetal.
    Thanks Sundae.
    Thanks Inkwell.

Thanks, and I wonder if you are referring to Amanda Hocking. She actually represents a new paradigm in publishing. Essentially legacy publishing (the old way) meant writing a book, getting an agent, the agent would try to sell to a publisher, the editor of that publisher would show interest and get permission to make an offer, then after about a year the book might get published.

The new paradigm is more like the "Hocking Model" as I like to call it. Here, an author takes advantage of the last standing bookstores (Amazon.com and B&N.com) and self-publishes. She then promotes her book the same way the legacy authors are expected to promote their books (blogs, forums, word-of-mouth, etc.). In addition, she doesn't go for the long quality book but goes with a short, low-quality trendy book and then repeats the process. She remains prolific and also sells her books for a price that takes away the risk factor ($0.99). She made a lot of money, but that wasn't the initial intent. The initial intent was to gain an audience and sell out to a legacy publisher. Which she did. Personally, I think she'll have to take her money and run because I don't think a person can go from the new paradigm back to the old. They can go from old to new, but never from new back to old.

There's still luck involved in the new paradigm, but it is the new paradigm. I have some ideas on how to tweek the process, and that will be my business plan. We'll see how it goes. But it's kind of like the first rule of Fight Club: The first rule of my plan is: You don't talk about your plan. So, I'll leave it at that.

Onward and upward! I hope, I hope, I hope :)

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Congratulations! Book-finishing and entrepeneurship are both awesome feats. You have a lot to be proud of. +rep!

9. Faust

Faust Active Member

Congratulations. :-D

I hope to see lots from you.

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Congrats, and what a feat! :) I hope I can do the same someday!

11. Leah

Leah Member

FANTASTIC!!!

You must be so proud! :)

12. beaver777

beaver777 New Member

Yes, congrats OP. Hopefully I can one day say the same thing... :cool:

13. dizzyspell

dizzyspell Active Member

Congratulations! I wish you the very best of luck. Sounds like you've thought everything out thoroughly :)

14. Heartnet

Heartnet New Member

Congrats :D

I'm coming to the end of mine now as well, probably <15,00 words to go, it's an exciting time. Great to hear you're self publishing, good luck for Black Spirit too:D

15. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Well done! :)

I like your attitude and best of luck with your book.

16. chatterbox

chatterbox Member

congratulations on thec novel, it is no easy task

17. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Awesome Job,

I always feel a huge weight lifted when I finally get a book uploaded for publishing.

Cheers.

18. AllWrite

AllWrite Member

Congratulations!