1. Kaz2015

Kaz2015 New Member

Kaz2015's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Kaz2015, Mar 24, 2015.

Hi! I love writing. I always have. However, in the last year or so I have embarked on writing my first 'proper' novel. The idea sounded exciting at first, but as the story devolved ,I became increasingly frustrated and motivated about completing the task. I have friends in my 'real life' who write and they have giving me so much encouragement, but I have found my motivation rapidly decrease.

This is where, hopefully, this progress chart will help. I'm going to publicly say, that my first draft WILL be done by December 1st 2015.

Currently, I'm 9251 words and 8 chapters into my young adult detective novel. It's more than I thought I had, but I need to pick things up a bit. I have decided to try and write for at least 15 minutes a day, a goal which is acheivable I think.

This progress journal will be where I write my current progress and I love to hear anyone else's experiences of writing their first book.

2. ToDandy

ToDandy Contributing Member

Good luck! I found that my writing journal was a huge help on keeping to schedule, last year. Also, having a set due date is a giant plus towards reaching an end goal.

Additionally I've found that outlining can help with a project (if you feel that is true to your writing style) as it can prevent you from accidentally writing into a corner and getting month-long writers block.

3. Kaz2015

Kaz2015 New Member

Hi thanks for your advice :)

The book I'm currently writing is already sketched out. I know how the plot is mostly going to go, but I haven't structured is so tightly, that I haven't left room for some creativity.

In the past, I have tried to write a novel, without any plan whatsoever and in the end, the story grew and grew until it became uncontrollable. So I know an element of planning is also necessary, but I know that I can't work with a firm plan of a book either.

4. Kaz2015

Kaz2015 New Member

So for my first weekly update, I've managed to write 1585 words this week. It's not much, but definitely a step in the right direction. At least I'm maintaining a momentum of writing every day, which is something I thought would be difficult, considering I've had a long break without writing. I quite happy with how the story is going and I'm finding that my characters are slowly developing, as I'm writing.

Total Book Word Count:10908

Catrin Lewis likes this.