1. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

"Liking" replies in threads

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by funkybassmannick, Jan 14, 2012.

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, I couldn't find anything when I searched for it.

Anyway, I have always wanted a "thumbs up" feature, similar to the one Youtube uses, where you can give a "thumbs up" to a post. I think think the reputation system is a great way to identify users that generally have good comments, but I would prefer a "thumbs up" as an addition to or substitution for reputation for these reason:

1) Especially with long threads, it is too much effort to go through all the comments to find quality answers. Sometimes the bulk of a thread is argument over a barely relevant topic
    2) I don't want to discourage all side-conversations even if they don't directly answer the OP's question as they can be interesting and informative (and because I'm guilty of it...)
    3) Top comments could be displayed directly below the OP, giving other forum readers a quality answer instantly without having to trudge through the rest of the thread.

2. Match

Match New Member

I like the idea, but I feel like implementing number three would throw off the entire topic as it would be out of order and out of context to the other replies.

3. funkybassmannick

What if it showed up twice? Like there's the first section, with the top comment or two, and then there's the second section that shows the thread naturally (with top comments in their chronological places)?

4. the1

the1 Active Member

I like your first two but I agree that I dislike the third.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's a limit to what bells and whistles daniel [the site owner] can practically add on, folks... i don't see this as one we really need...

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Why can't you just use the reputation feature?

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Yes.

Yes.

Honestly, I'm not keen on an idea. I think voting up or down individual posts could cause problems, especially in discussions with differing opinions. Personally, I'd rather keep the site focused on discussion, and not a popularity contest or cherry picking contributions.

Also, a feature like this could potentially be expensive.

8. funkybassmannick

I'm not expecting him to. I have just always felt this would improve the forum for the way I personally use it.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

However, if it is a feature of the cuirrent or an upcoming version of vBulletin he can activate easily, it doesn't hurt to make him aware there is some interest in it.

10. the1

the1 Active Member

It would be quite easy to implement a 'like' or 'thanks' button. I feel this could be a good measure of how helpful someone on the forum is.

11. mammamaia

i'm also leaning in this direction... it's too easy for such a system to be 'loaded' as ballot boxes often are, to favor less than deserving candidates...

12. yagr

yagr Senior Member

I can certainly understand the misgivings on this feature that have been brought up but as someone new to creative writing, I am often hesitant to offer opinions and advise as I'm not sure that my opinion is valid. "Good" writing is so subjective as it is, and especially for someone with a background in the hard sciences. If I saw that respected members valued my opinion, I would be encouraged to respond more often. Conversely, if I found I didn't get any 'thanks' or 'thumbs up' from those members who I am coming to respect, I would be encouraged to see the errors of my thinking.

The feedback loop in writing is poor at this stage. Touch a hot stove and you'll get burned - every time. Write a poor review and you have no idea where you stand. I think such a feature would help with that.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I disagree, yagr. Feedback is only meaningful if it is specific, so you can evaluate the reasoning, or lack thereof, behind it.

14. SunnyDays

SunnyDays New Member

I thought about the "like" button for random blurbs of genius comments. But I think without the "like" button we can communicate more and actually say what we liked, in a meaningful way without having people worried if other people will "like" what they wrote.

15. Miss Jo

Miss Jo New Member

I only joined today but I agree with SunnyDays. By not having a quick click button to explain our reaction to a post, we actually have a chance to reflect on what was written and how it helped/pissed us off. For newbies it's an opportunity to force an ice-breaker on a first post or thread and get out there and get involved and discussing, which is what this was for...i thought.

16. mammamaia

excellent point, miss jo!

17. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

What makes the OP think that the posts that get the most "thumbs up" will be "quality posts"?

If everyone one of these "top posts" is going to be like they are on youtube:

Then I think I will kill myself. :rolleyes:

If you appreciate someones post, PM them, or post an agreement backing them up or even... "rep them". Although personally I think that "reputation systems" are kind of stupid.