1. TheDarkWriter

TheDarkWriter Active Member

Keeping a supernatural story in the realm of reality

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheDarkWriter, Aug 17, 2012.

Okay how can I write a supernatural story with monsters magic and what not while keeping it in the realm of reality? I've been trying to write one but I keep going over board and I feel like it's just going to leave readers thinking "That could never happen!" So how can I write a supernatural story while keeping it grounded? Also is having a supernatural being as my main character for my first time was a too ambitious?

2. Reptile Hazard

Reptile Hazard Member

My best advice would be to set parameters as to what the supernatural creature(s) can do. For example, don't say in one chapter that they flew from place A to place B, and then in another chapter say that they can teleport too. That would be quite redundant and meaningless. My point is that you should know what your creatures are capable of, and what they aren't capable of.

Also, keep the characters real. Like, if I see a huge shadow going into a dark alley in the middle of the night my first thought is not going to be: "hey, I should check that out, even though I'm completely alone and no one would be able to help me!" People like that probably exist, but in the writing world it seems like a lazy way out to have the character put into a situation to start the story.

3. Reptile Hazard

Reptile Hazard Member

Double post.

4. Krystle Robison

Krystle Robison Member

My first story is also a supernatural sort but i try to keep the characters as human as possible also with human emotions including fear and love i feel like if you dont keep the emotions real then thats when a story starts to spiral towards the unbelievable.

5. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand Senior Member

Supernatural, is by definition, not natural. You won't have reality in the supernatural. Their powers won't be based on the natural world around them. Its based on something that you are connecting in print, in your own imagination. Zombies are living dead. In essence, dead is not alive, so they can't be living. You need to forget natural, and think real for you. Vampires have long been thought to have access to their full power if they are on their home ground, ie Dracula. Really though, is dirt empowering? See the imagination part? He's powerful but with limits. He's immortal, but can be killed. He's undead, but alive. He does not eat, but drinks blood. Zombies eat flesh, but their digestive systems don't digest. You eat because you're hungry, have a need for something. Your imagination will make it real for others. Your creativity will make it real, as long as it doesn't get into the realm of the absurd.

6. fwc577

fwc577 Member

Check out TV shows like Supernatural, Buffy, etc. The most common theme is that most people "ignore" Supernatural stuff because they just don't believe it's real.

7. luna claire

luna claire Senior Member

I recommend a little research on folklore. It might give you a starting point or ideas to play with. There are tons of lore and myths out there, but as long as you make them rounded characters and be consistant about their limitations/powers, I think you'll do fine. Hope this helps a little and Good luck!:)