1. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Active Member

'Keeping of a Writers journal' or 'On the importance of writing stuff down'

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by NobodySpecial, Feb 29, 2016.

Sunday afternoon I left work without my phone. It's in the 'Notes' feature that I record new ideas and potential plots variations for future reference. My commute to and from work is an uneventful one, save the occasional ambulance or police car zipping by at the speed of sound. Thus, I tend to listen to the local news on my drive. Sunday afternoon there was something on the radio that sparked a great idea, at least one I thought had the makings of greatness. Aside from the fact that I was driving at the time, I didn't have my phone. there was nothing in the car to write with or on and I failed to record the idea. Just in case you haven't figured it out yet; I can't remember what the freaking idea was. When I got home, rather than writing the idea down right away, I let the dogs out, hit the bathroom and then the refrigerator. Didn't write anything while it was fresh in my mind.

I got my phone back this morning. Before things got rolling I opened up that note app and had no idea, and for my life I cannot remember what it was. It's like it never happened. My nominee for the list of advice to new writers is:

"Write that idea down while you have it, don't count on it waiting around til you have a moment."

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Totally agree - everyone needs to jot stuff down right away. I usually keep a note pad in my purse and one near my bed cause I'm notorious for coming up with a scene just as I'm ... nodding .... off....zzzzz

3. Death2ignorance

Death2ignorance Member

I do the same thing. Sometimes though, it's just not feasible to writing everything down (like when you're driving!). When this happens I try to focus on a key word, or short description. I treat the idea like a chapter that needs a title and just focus on remembering the title.

Hours later, when I can finally write notes down and I've all but forget the idea ,I can usually use the title to extrapolate most, if not the entirety, of what I wanted to get on to paper.

4. Kathryn Donahue

Kathryn Donahue Member

I have little notebooks hidden everywhere. If I don't write an idea down right away I know I'll never remember it. I have one in my purse and apron for work as well as my bedside table. My biggest problem is never being able to find a pen to write with. I have to scramble to find one before the thought slips away.

5. BadCrow

BadCrow Member

I have to admit that i rarely write stuff down as I'm daydreaming... I usualy remember the best bits and pieces and if not i don't believe they are good enough to write them down... you guys are making me feel slightly casual :meh:

6. Death2ignorance

Death2ignorance Member

Ha my memory is just way to horrible for that! But when "I write stuff down" its honestly like one line. for example, i have a note on my phone filled with stuff like:
    Council meeting-Who guards the peace
    the angered emissary
    etc.

they are super short but they allow me to remember the majority of the idea I had

7. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributing Member

My opinion is that if it's worth remembering, I'll remember it.
    Though honestly, it's so rate for me to actually have an idea that they always stick in my mind.

8. DeadMoon

DeadMoon Contributing Member Contributor

I try to write most idea and thoughts down I can transfer them to my data page I keep on Scriviner. Like many writer before me I sometime get a great idea or line as I am falling asleep and think " This is to good not to remember" (lie last night...) Then, or course, I forget by morning.

9. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I keep a Moleskine notebook with me at all times so that if I get any writing ideas I can write them down.

Then when I get home I transfer them to a 8 1/2 by 11 notepad which I keep hidden in my desk once the pad is full of ideas I transfer them to a password protected flash drive.

10. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

I use my Ginger Keyboard app which has a handy speech to text button.
    Any idea I get I record on there. Plus I can drive home from work writing my best seller by just chatting to my phone.
    Granted I do have to correct all the grammatical errors but it's quicker to say 1000 words than to type then.
    Although I'm typing at the moment, but here's what happens when I talk...

this is what is looks like when I use the microphone.