1. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Contributing Member

Keyboard Smashing

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by PensiveQuill, Aug 16, 2014.

I've been writing on and off for a while but it's time to test the waters and see if I can create and hold an audience. I've developed a fantasy milieu and have many stories and characters within it. So I'm blogging about just one character at the moment to both create writing momentum and also to see if I can build an audience on the strength of that. It's one of the minor histories of my milieu rather than my favoured plot. The aim is to write a short section. Proof, edit and post each day to develop a writing habit and see how it all goes.

So far, 3 posts. 12 pageviews.

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Hey, how can we read your stuff?
    I'm curious.

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Supporter Contributor

Just PM it to me, please.
    That should do the trick :3

4. PensiveQuill

I'll post something in the workshop section instead. Better to let others have a gander too. :agreed:

5. PensiveQuill

I've scrapped my blog for a while to focus on just writing, since blogging seemed to be making me uptight about what I produced. So far I've challenged myself to produce 2,000 words a day of my story. They don't have to be great words, just meaningful ones, they need to be on subject and move the plot along. I'll worry about the other aspects once I've got a rough draft down. Today another 2,000 words smashed out for a total of 17,000 words so far. Yeah I know it's an odd number, I only wrung 3,000 words out of myself the last two days. Just shy of my target but still something.

I'm still toying with the idea of making it erotica, but to be honest, I don't think the plot is going to lend itself to steamy sex scenes quite often enough to be satisying for that genre. Although it's a fun genre to write in and do like what it adds. I have got an idea for a purely erotic piece that could possibly make 10,000 words but not much beyond that given the simple plot premise. But I want to focus on my current WIP first.

A plot twist came to me today, or maybe it was a subplot, no it was a twist. It works well for the characters I've created and is starting to give me a plot of the kind I'd often jealously coveted. Better than that it only involves the current cast of characters. That was my biggest fear, that tangents would appear and birth characters that ultimately became irrelevant to the overall plot. But this twist at least weaves the relationships between the current cast deeper, making the whole story more cohesive. An essential 'why' has been answered.

6. PensiveQuill

Fuck writing every day is a bitch and meeting that 2,000 word quota is hard. Today I had to write about a characters escape from a confinement. It ended up being a 2,000 word wanking (literal) session because he was frustrated as fuck and was out of ideas. Yeah well, lets just say art is imitating life here although I found no need to masturbate, unless you count a scene full of it as being literary masturbation. Maybe it was....But at least I have a novel means of attempted escape for him now.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

2K words/day is hard. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

8. PensiveQuill

Yeah I'm coming to that conclusion. However still managed 2500 words today. Yay!

9. PensiveQuill

I had a tanti last night because I've found an author I really like, one that has writing which sparkles rather than hides in the folds of some recycled paper (who else gets off on the smell of print?). Anyway it was elation followed by a suicidal moment as I realised this author has done what I want to do, so I experienced the artist's paradox......I am a derivative so why the fuck bother?

Anyway I'm currently at 21,400 words since I smashed out some more chapter material in my fit of anger. Who knew two guys having frustration sex could be so cathartic? Back to the keyboard this morning. I have to go to work in a few hours but I'm confident I can kill another 1,000 words. Went 1k over my quota yesterday so I can pinch some back today.

By novel has three POV characters in it and so far I've been swapping between their character stories chapter by chapter in sequential order. But one character I've kind of fallen in love with and I'm considering just writing his character arc to completion first then backtracking to the infill chapters later. It's not the kind of decision which throws planets out of alignment I know.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. Robert Klein II

Robert Klein II Member

Getting a lot written per day is good. I write 1,500 - 2,500 words a day. Pretty tough when you have to balance that with school.

I've fallen in love with a lot of my characters. It'll be tough once someone dies.

11. PensiveQuill

Got sweet FA done yesterday or the day before. Work was too rushed and I was too busy having hormonally induced stress attacks to care. So target for next two days is 8000 words. I think I can do it. I'll be stuck in a hotel for the next 36hrs with nothing to do. :pop::write::read:

Thought for the day - Headaches may actually be the most acute form of torture. Made worse by lack of painkillers.

12. Robert Klein II

Robert Klein II Member

TO THE DRUG STORE -batman theme plays-

13. PensiveQuill

Just watched season 4 GoTs in one night. My eyes hurt.

14. JonnyP7200

JonnyP7200 New Member

Like the others have said, don't be too hard on yourself, writing that much each and every day is tough.

Do you have a particular time of the day that you like to write in?

Don't know if you're a morning person but I found getting up before work (I work a 9-5ish job) and nailing out 1,000 words then took the pressure off in the evenings (or even lunch time) to get another 1,000 words done. Otherwise the pressure can get to you and make you feel like you're failing and then you get stuck in this downwards spiral of self-loathing until you just pack in the whole project (sorry if that sounds dramatic, I speak from experience, having started eight novels and only finished one!)

15. PensiveQuill

Glad I watched seasons 4 of GoTs. It remind sme how important it is to really flesh those characters out and get them humming. GoT's is the ulitmate character story, when you think about it, aside form a lot of people dying every season not a lot happens action-wise. The plot is tightly interwoven amoung ambitions of varius people. So each character has to have clear motivatoins and a strong voice because there's so damn many of them.

I've got the next 7hrs to smash out about 8,000 words. I'm confident I can do it. But I really want to give my characters more life than they have as well. It's going to be a fun day.

16. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributing Member Contributor

My own fantasy world, living the good life
    The characters are even more fleshed out in the books :D But that's a long read.

8000 words in 7 hours? Good luck, that's super impressive if you meet that.

17. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Sorry, but with a thread title like this I was expecting something a little more awesome.

[​IMG]

18. PensiveQuill

Sorry, I'm not made of awesome. Just turn away, pretend you didn't look. Maybe pour bleach on your eyes.

Okon likes this.
  19. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

After I read your story. Don't worry!

20. PensiveQuill

I'll take that compliment regardless of how you meant it. :p

123456789 likes this.
  21. PensiveQuill

I read the first book and just picked up the TV series at the end of that one. I find some of the episodes drag for me, so I dont think I'd invest a year of my life to read it all.

-------

2,000 words smashed out. Time for lunch. Just got back from lunch, I'm piking out at the 2k limit, those other 6k will just have to write themselves. I have some napping to do after my GoT marathon yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  22. PensiveQuill

Haven't done much for the past few days. I was completely arsed-over from my last shift at work. A week later and I still feel like I haven't slept at all. I just can't seem to bounce back from the graveyard shift like I used to. Damn I hate getting old. And there's another little development. I want to move back to my old city. I want to go there like it's the only place in the world I can breathe. And today my manager gave me that option. Nothing was promised but a lot was hinted at, like that door was open and all I had to do is take it. I'm so confused, I want to take it but then I know what it means if I do.

I need to sleep, again.