1. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

Kicking an idea out for advice

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by captain kate, Aug 12, 2008.

I've been working on "Freedom's fall" for so long, and its' 1058 pages in format. I feel like I'm chasing my tail constantly trying to get everything straight. Here is the idea I have:

FF's is in 4 "books" with books 1&2 being past life for Kate, things leading up to her present, telling you who she is, etc etc. Books 3&4 are the present.

I'm thinking of taking books 3-4 and putting them into one novel, since they are 538 pages without rewriting, etc and make it its own novel. Then going abck and rewriting the books 1-2 into its own prequel/sequel that will answer all the back story questions on Kate Almir before moving into the next part of the series, which will start to build into the fictionalized retelling of WW2.

what does anyone think?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Each volume needs to stand on its own as a complete work. When you become a well-known author, you may be able to sell a multi-volume work as a package deal, and you will have more freedom to leave loose ends in the earlier volumes.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Captain Kate,

From what you described, I'd complete the first book you'd hope to see in print (3-4), and polish it up. And send it out to publishers/agents or whatever route you're planning.

Then work on something totally different. It'll take time, even "Freedoms Fall" is accepted first time out (submission package submitted--wait for package to be read--submission package accepted--submit full manuscript--wait for it to be read--accepted--contract offered--contract negotiated/signed--editing process/placed in publication schedule--ARCs go out--hits the shelves.

Hopefully your novel will find a home. If it doesn't, will all the other novels that depend on it be able to stand alone? Will they have an equal chance or lesser chance of getting accepted? If not, then work on something else. While the first novel in the "Freedom Fall" series is out there, you'll finish a second novel (or first novel in a second series). Then you'll have two novels out there, etc.

Also, there is a chance that after the first novel is accepted, things will be edited/changed and all the back story may be altered (for books 1-2) with ripple effects that would require editing/revision throughout (possibly). You have it written in rough form, thus the voice and proper context for events are in place, easily picked up upon should the first novel (3-4) get accepted.

If you sell the second novel, then "Freedom Fall" may have a decent chance of getting picked up by that publisher, if the second novel's sales (among other thigns) merit it.

Just my thoughts. Hope they're clear.

Terry

4. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

While doing only 3-4 will leave several loose ends such as "How did she gt hurt and end up cybernetic?" and "why are the bad guys after her so much?" it will be better to make it a different book because then I can spend the time, and length necessary, to expound on it all..and give the needed insight.